China’s property debt crisis is showing new signs of trouble after entering its fourth year, with one of the country’s major state-backed developers under scrutiny by investors.
Some of China’s largest insurers are sounding an alarm over the debt risks of China Vanke Co (萬科), according to people familiar with the matter, as shares and bonds of the major developer hit record lows on repayment concerns.
At least two Beijing-based insurers that farm out annuity investments late last week told their external portfolio managers to closely monitor Vanke’s credit risks, the people said.
Photo: Bloomberg
One life insurer also told its pension managers to curb exposure, they said.
Vanke, China’s second-biggest developer by sales, has begun a new round of negotiations with several state insurers in the past few days to extend maturities of some private borrowings, the people said.
No deal has been reached.
In response to queries from Bloomberg, Vanke yesterday said that it has prepared funds to repay its 5.35 percent dollar bond due on Monday next week and that the payment is being arranged orderly.
The warnings about Vanke’s risks are particularly worrisome and threaten to elevate the sector’s debt woes to the next level because the company is seen as a bellwether for Beijing’s support for major developers with strong ties to the state.
The company is also one of China’s few remaining and surviving investment-grade builders, following a record wave of defaults that engulfed mostly private-sector builders, including former industry giants Country Garden Holdings Co (碧桂園) and China Evergrande Group (恆大集團).
The growing concerns about Vanke also come at an inconvenient time for authorities as the nation began its seven-day annual parliamentary sessions yesterday, with key policy topics from the housing crisis to local-government debt in focus.
Authorities pledged to refine real-estate policies to provide stronger support for the ailing sector, including treating developers equally regardless of their ownership.
“It is no surprise that Vanke is in trouble today,” Beijing Shengao Fund Management Co (深高基金管理) chief investment officer Li Kai (李凱) said. “Domestic real-estate sales have been so poor that it is difficult for companies to hang on, and the market has not seen strong visible support from local governments.”
Vanke had about 1.7 trillion yuan (US$236 billion) of assets and 1.3 trillion yuan of total liabilities as of the middle of last year, its interim report showed.
The builder on Friday last week said that it planned to raise about 1.16 billion yuan in an infrastructure REIT that would list in Shenzhen.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort