Apple Inc is canceling a decade-long effort to build an electric vehicle (EV), people with knowledge of the matter said, abandoning one of the most ambitious projects in the history of the firm.
Apple made the disclosure internally on Tuesday, surprising about 2,000 employees working on the project, the sources said.
The decision was shared by Apple chief operating officer Jeff Williams and Kevin Lynch, a vice president in charge of the effort, the sources said.
Photo: Reuters
The two executives told staff that the project would begin winding down and that many employees on the EV team — known as the Special Projects Group — would be shifted to the artificial intelligence (AI) division under executive John Giannandrea.
Those employees would focus on generative AI projects, an increasingly key priority for the firm.
Ultimately, focusing on AI might be a better bet, Bloomberg Intelligence analysts Anurag Rana and Andrew Girard said in a note.
“Apple’s decision to abandon electric cars and shift resources toward generative AI is a good strategic move, we believe, given the long-term profitability potential of AI revenue streams versus cars,” Rana and Girard said.
Under the new arrangement, Lynch would report to Giannandrea, the sources said.
He previously reported to Williams, who also has overseen software engineering for the Apple Watch.
Apple declined to comment.
The move came as a relief to investors, who sent Apple shares climbing on Tuesday and closing up about 1 percent at US$182.63 in New York.
Tesla Inc head Elon Musk also celebrated the move.
He shared a post on X with a saluting emoji and a cigarette.
The decision to ultimately wind down the project is a bombshell for the company, ending a multibillion-dollar effort called Project Titan that would have vaulted Apple into a whole new industry.
The tech giant started working on an EV in about 2014, setting its sights on a fully autonomous vehicle with a limousine-like interior and voice-guided navigation.
However, the project struggled nearly from the start, with Apple changing the team’s leadership and strategy several times.
Lynch and Williams took charge of the undertaking a few years ago — following the departure of Doug Field, now a senior executive at Ford Motor Co.
Apple was still years away from producing a vehicle and contemplated many different designs. Beyond the look of the vehicle, cracking self-driving technology was a major challenge. Apple had road-tested its system since 2017 using a Lexus SUV exterior, putting dozens of vehicles on roads in the US.
The firm also tested more secretive components on a gigantic track in Phoenix, Arizona, that was once owned by Chrysler.
In the end, Apple was facing a cooling market for EVs. Sales growth lost steam in the past few months after high prices and a lack of charging infrastructure discouraged mainstream buyers from shifting to all-electric vehicles.
General Motors Co and Ford are pivoting to producing more hybrid vehicles after confronting lackluster EV demand and manufacturing bottlenecks, and vehicle manufacturers across the industry are slashing prices for battery-electric vehicles, production targets and profit forecasts.
Even Tesla, the pioneer of the EV revolution in the US, has said its rate of expansion would be “notably lower” this year.
Domestic EV sales growth would decelerate to 11 percent this year from an estimated 47 percent growth rate last year, a forecast by UBS AG said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his