Walt Disney Co and Reliance Industries Ltd have signed a binding pact to merge their media operations in India, people familiar with the matter said, as the US entertainment giant recasts its strategy amid intense competition in the world’s most-populous country.
The media unit of Reliance, controlled by billionaire Mukesh Ambani, and its affiliates are expected to own at least 61 percent in the merged entity, with Disney holding the rest, the people said.
The latest milestone and other details are likely to be announced early this week, the people said.
Photo: Reuters
The stake split between the partners might change, depending on how Disney’s other local assets are factored in by the time the deal is closed, the people said.
Disney owns a minority stake in broadcast service provider, Tata Play Ltd, which Reliance might consider acquiring, local news reports said.
Disney has been grappling with challenges in India, such as retaining subscribers and securing coveted media assets, while Reliance has cornered a larger slice of the local media and entertainment businesses in recent years.
Together, they would make a formidable media behemoth in one of the world’s fastest-growing entertainment markets.
Ambani’s unit had outbid Disney in 2022 to win the streaming rights for the Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament and in April last year bagged a multiyear pact to broadcast Warner Bros Discovery Inc’s HBO shows, which were earlier with Disney.
While Disney’s streaming service, Disney+ Hotstar, managed to draw record viewers for the Cricket World Cup in October and November last year, it showed the matches for free in the cricket-crazy nation — a move aimed at clawing back subscribers even if it meant sacrificing revenue.
Reliance had streamed IPL matches earlier last year without any charge, drawing viewers in hordes.
This transaction is part of the larger consolidation efforts in the Indian media and entertainment space. Sony Group Corp planned to merge its local unit with Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd until differences cropped up on who would lead the newly merged media giant that ultimately gutted the deal last month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his