The world’s biggest mobile phone fair throws open its doors in Barcelona, Spain, today with the sector looking to artificial intelligence (AI) to try to reverse declining sales.
Phone makers are to focus on the unique AI-powered tools of their latest handsets at the four-day Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, where 95,000 attendees and 2,400 exhibitors from around the world are expected to attend.
Telecom operators are expected to use the event to explore how AI can help improve their operations, from boosting security to providing better customer service.
Photo: AFP
AI “is clearly democratizing and is now embedded everywhere: in phones, in devices, in networks,” said Thomas Husson, principal analyst at Forrester Research, adding that it is a reviving innovation in the sector.
The event comes as global smartphone shipments declined 3.2 percent to 1.17 billion units last year. It was the second consecutive yearly decline, as consumers took longer to upgrade their devices due to a lack of innovations, high inflation and economic uncertainties, International Data Corp (IDC) said.
However, shipments rose 8.5 percent in the fourth quarter of last year to 326.1 million units which suggests “momentum is moving quickly toward recovery,” IDC said in a report on Jan. 15.
Google and South Korean giant Samsung Electronics Co have both recently unveiled new flagship handsets with flashy AI-power tools such as advanced photo-editing and easier online search which they are expected to highlight.
Samsung is planning to unveil its first wearable smart ring as part of its health lineup at the MWC, the South Korean firm said yesterday.
The company is to publicly display the Galaxy Ring for the first time after teasing it last month at the Galaxy S24 smartphone series launch in California. The Galaxy Ring offers users more personalized and seamless experiences backed by advances in AI, Samsung said in a statement.
Visitors at the MWC would also be able to see new health features on Galaxy Watch6 series paired with the Galaxy S24, prior to public availability later this year, Samsung said.
The Galaxy Ring’s official launch is expected later this year.
Other smaller handset makers such as China’s Honor Terminal Co (榮耀) are set to unveil new devices at the event. Honor’s new flagship phone features a camera with AI motion-sensing capabilities that can detect and automatically take a picture of a moving object at the best moment.
AI had already “kicked off” before the MWC last year, but “a year later we have a much better idea of how operators and the mobile industry can take advantage of it,” said Peter Jarich, head of intelligence at telecoms industry group GSMA, the event’s organizer.
Among the 1,100 scheduled speakers are Dell Technologies Inc founder and CEO Michael Dell, and Microsoft Corp president Brad Smith.
Aside from AI, discussions are expected to focus on the consolidation of the European telecoms market after the EU on Tuesday last week approved the merger of the Spain operations of French telecoms giant Orange SA with its Spanish rival Masmovil Group.
There is also likely to be debate about whether big tech should contribute to the cost of deploying the networks their products rely on, a notion commonly known as “fair share.”
The annual congress, which has been held in Barcelona since 2006, initially focused on phones but has since expanded to include all sorts of connected devices such as drones and robots. Among the more eye-catching devices which are to be on display is the working model of what US firm Alef Aeronautics Inc said is the world’s first “real” flying car and a lifelike robotic dog by Tecno Mobile that can understand voice commands.
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort