State-run Mega International Commercial Bank (兆豐銀行) yesterday ended its currency exchange settlements services for online credit cards after peers and regulators raised issues regarding legal compliance.
The termination came one day after the lender announced it would lower fees to NT$10 per currency exchange settlement valued at less than NT$500,000.
Peers and regulators voiced concern that the offer was tantamount to marketing a cash advance, in contravention of constraints on lenders.
Photo courtesy of Mega International Commercial Bank
Underregulated promotion of cash advances were an issue linked to a credit card debt problem in Taiwan in 2005 and 2006.
Mega Bank said it might have misunderstandings about an exclusive regulatory permit for online credit card operations involving foreign exchange settlements and would halt the disputed service.
Demand for currency exchange settlements is escalating as overseas travel has expanded multifold after countries around the world ditched border restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Phil Tong (童政彰), deputy director of the Financial Supervisory Commission’s Banking Bureau, said that lenders should diligently review legal compliance issues and refrain from questionable practices regardless of whether they are explicitly banned.
The market has undergone drastic changes in the 20 years since Mega Bank was granted a regulatory permit, Tong said, adding that the commission would frown on similar business propositions by other banks.
Credit cards should be used as a payment tool and should provide cash advances only in emergency cases, he said.
The central bank said that in 2005 it approved online currency exchange settlements to facilitate easy transactions, but never agreed to marketing of cash advances.
Mega Bank’s offer of currency exchange settlements to online credit card operations drew protests from peers partly because the local banking market is excessively competitive, rendering exclusive practices controversial.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his