Shipping giant A.P. Moller-Maersk A/S reported yesterday a massive drop in net profit for last year and warned of “uncertainty” for this year due to Yemeni rebel attacks on vessels in the Red Sea.
An oversupply of container shipping last year caused prices to drop after they had soared in 2022 due to capacity shortages amid high demand following the end of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, the Danish group said.
“The high demand eventually started to normalize as congestions eased, and consumer demand declined leading to an inventory overhang,” Maersk said in its annual earnings report.
Photo: REUTERS
This “correction” resulted “in rapid and steep declines in shipped volumes and rates starting” at the end of the third quarter of 2022, it added.
Maersk said its net profit reached US$3.8 billion last year, slightly more than forecast by analysts but down sharply from the US$29.2 billion logged in 2022.
Its revenue was also slightly above forecasts, reaching US$51 billion compared to US$81.5 billion the previous year.
The “oversupply challenges” in the maritime shipping industry are expected to “materialize fully” over the course of this year, Maersk said.
The group lowered its forecast for its core profit for this year — earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization — to a range of between US$1 billion and US$6 billion.
“High uncertainty remains around the duration and degree of the Red Sea disruption with the duration from one quarter to full year reflected in the guidance range,” Maersk said.
Maersk's stock price sank more than 13 percent on the Copenhagen stock exchange after the release of the earnings report, which also included the announcement of the suspension of its share buyback plan.
Chairman Robert Maersk Uggla and CEO Vincent Clerc said in the earnings report that "2023 ended with multiple distressing attacks on cargo ships in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden".
They noted that two of the company's ships had been targeted.
"We are horrified by the escalation of this unfortunate conflict," they said.
Maersk and other shipping companies have decided to redirect shifts away from the Red Sea, making them take the longer and costlier route around the southern tip of Africa.
The Red Sea usually carries about 12 percent of global maritime trade.
Yemen’s Iran-backed Huthi rebels have targeted ships crossing the Red Sea since last year, saying their campaign was in solidarity with Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas.
"While the Red Sea crisis has caused immediate capacity constraints and a temporary increase in rates, eventually the oversupply in shipping capacity will lead to price pressure and impact our results," Clerc said.
Maersk also announced it would spin off its towage business, Svitzer, as a separate listed company.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his