A Hong Kong court yesterday ordered the liquidation of property giant China Evergrande Group (恆大集團), but the firm said it would continue to operate in a case that has become a symbol of the nation’s deepening economic woes.
Once China’s biggest real-estate firm, its astronomical debt of more than US$300 billion became emblematic of a years-long crisis in the country’s property market that has reverberated throughout the world’s second-largest economy.
The order kickstarts a long process that should see Evergrande’s offshore assets liquidated and its management replaced, after the company failed to develop a working restructuring plan.
Photo: AFP
The company’s executive director vowed the Hong Kong court’s decision would not impact its domestic operations, while analysts said the ruling would further erode foreign investor confidence in China.
Given “the obvious lack of the progress on the part of the company in putting forward a viable restructuring proposal and the insolvency of the company... I consider that it is appropriate for the court to make a winding up order against the company and I so order,” High Court judge Linda Chan (陳靜芬) said.
In her written judgement issued yesterday afternoon, Chan wrote creditors’ interests would be “better protected” if the company is wound up and independent liquidators could take over to secure assets and restructure as needed. Edward Middleton and Tiffany Wong (黃詠詩) of law firm Alvarez & Marsal Asia Ltd were appointed by Chan as liquidators.
The winding-up petition was filed in 2022 by creditor Top Shine Global Ltd, which wanted its money back after Evergrande formally defaulted in December 2021. However, analysts are skeptical whether any creditors would be repaid in full.
Chan’s judgement said that 90 percent of Evergrande’s assets are in China.
“I doubt [Evergrande’s] offshore creditors would receive substantial recovery proceeds from the liquidation order,” Creditsights Singapore LLC credit analyst Zerlina Zeng (曾竹君) told Bloomberg.
Evergrande executive director Shawn Siu (肖恩) called the decision “regrettable,” but vowed yesterday that the company’s operations in China would continue.
“The Group will still endeavor to do everything possible to safeguard the stability of its domestic business and operation,” he told a Chinese business outlet, adding that Evergrande’s Hong Kong arm was independent from its domestic subsidiary.
The company would “steadily push forward with the key work of guaranteeing the delivery of buildings, and maintain the quality of property services without being affected,” Siu added.
Shares in Evergrande plunged 20.87 percent to HK$0.16 in Hong Kong following the ruling, before the stock exchange halted trading in the morning. Trading was also halted in Evergrande’s electric vehicle subsidiary.
Last year, Evergrande chairman Xu Jiayin (許家印), known as Hui Ka Yan in Cantonese, was “subject to mandatory measures” from authorities on suspicion of “crimes.”
In yesterday’s ruling, Chan wrote that a winding-up order had the “advantage” of taking control of the company away from Xu, removing a hurdle for restructuring.
By the end of June last year, Evergrande estimated it had debts of US$328 billion.
The impact of Monday’s decision on Evergrande’s construction activities in China is “unknown,” Mizuho Bank Ltd chief Asian foreign exchange strategist Ken Cheung (張建泰) said.
However, the liquidation would likely remind investors of the sector’s ill-health and “may keep foreign investors away,” he said.
While the winding-up was “widely anticipated,” the challenge is on “whether the liquidator will succeed in obtaining recognition... from mainland courts to seize” assets, Saxo Markets chief China strategist Redmond Wong (黃永輝) said.
“Authorities will probably manage this liquidation in a way that doesn’t cause major contagion effects to other parts of the economy,” AMP Financial Services Holdings Ltd chief economist Shane Oliver said.
However, “it tells us that the property crisis is still far from being resolved, and remains an ongoing drag on the Chinese economy.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort