Apple Inc’s iPhone sales slump in China is deepening and the company is likely to see volumes decline further this year, Jefferies analysts led by Edison Lee (李裕生) said.
The iPhone maker’s latest generation got off to an atypically sluggish start in China last year, which most recently expanded to a 30 percent year-on-year decline, Lee and colleagues said in a note on Sunday, citing industry checks.
The rest of the country’s mobile market grew last month, with Huawei Technologies Co (華為) growing the fastest on the back of its new Mate 60 device lineup.
Photo: Bloomberg
Weeks before the iPhone 15 went on sale in September last year, Huawei’s debut of the Mate 60 Pro — which runs on a new made-in-China system processor — spurred a patriotic fervor that reclaimed some of the customers it previously lost to Apple.
Jefferies estimates that Huawei shipped 35 million smartphones last year, with some supply constraints preventing that number from being larger.
Apple saw a double-digit percentage fall in volume last month and Jefferies forecasts a similar decline for this year.
Discounts on Apple’s smartphone range increased last week across various online shopping portals, cutting into the average selling price without stimulating growth in volume.
Apple gained share in China after US sanctions cut Huawei off from the world’s leading chipmakers, such as Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電), in 2020.
The Shenzhen-based electronics firm’s return to competitiveness in the mobile market has seen it claw back market share, and it is now developing its own software ecosystem to compete with Apple’s iOS and Alphabet Inc’s Android.
Separately, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), the world’s largest assembler of iPhones which is known internationally as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), is losing a long-time executive in India, just as the manufacturer is pushing to expand in the South Asian country.
Josh Foulger, the country head of Foxconn’s Bharat FIH arm, is leaving the company after nine years, people familiar with the matter said.
Foulger, a three-decade veteran in the electronics industry, has helped the Taiwanese contract manufacturer and its customers including Xiaomi Corp (小米) expand in India.
Over time though, Bharat FIH began losing share of the Xiaomi business as the Chinese brand sought more local partners in India after the country’s government encouraged manufacturers to work more closely with Indian suppliers.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his