Arm Holdings PLC has laid off more than 70 software engineers in China, although it plans to relocate some of the roles outside of China, people with knowledge of the move said.
The British firm’s actions mirror those of major chip companies, including Qualcomm Inc that have cut back on the global staffing level earlier this year as the semiconductor industry faces a downturn due to lackluster electronics demand. Last month, Arm gave a disappointing sales forecast amid a slump in smartphone sales.
About 15 of the staff whose positions are being eliminated are to be offered different roles working on China-related projects, one affected employee said.
Photo: Bloomberg
The jobs being terminated are currently filled by contract software engineers who have worked on projects that span Arm’s business around the world, another affected engineer said.
“In order to ensure that the China Software Ecosystem can fully maximize the benefits of Arm performance and features, Arm is restructuring its China software engineering resources to focus on direct support for local developers,” the company said in a statement.
China’s contribution to Arm’s global sales fell to about 20 percent from 25 percent as rest of the world grew much faster, CEO Jason Child told analysts last month.
The Softbank Group Corp-backed firm has been affected by Washington-imposed restrictions on technology exports to Chinese companies as Arm has developed some of its proprietary designs — widely used in mobile devices — in the US.
Arm is still recovering from the turmoil of an extended dispute with the ousted head of Arm China, a joint venture owned by Softbank and a group of Chinese investors.
Former Arm China CEO Allen Wu (吳雄昂) refused to leave his post after being dismissed, and it took investors years to retake control.
Arm China acts as the sales office for the British chip designer in the largest market for semiconductors. Earlier this year, the Chinese entity itself let go of more than 100 employees, most of them working in the research and development unit, where they were creating new chip technology for the local market, the affected employees said.
Arm outsourced the work of supporting Chinese customers to Arm China via a division called global service, which had as many as 200 employees at one point. More than 70 employees at that department have been let go, with some expecting an offer to be relocated, one affected employee said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort