Rapid developments in artificial intelligence (AI) and recent turmoil at industry powerhouse OpenAI Inc have brought fresh attention to a key hub of ethics research related to the technology in Montreal, led by Canadian “godfather of AI” Yoshua Bengio.
Bengio — who in 2018 shared the Turing Award with Geoffrey Hinton and Yann LeCun for their work on deep learning — said that he is worried about the technology leapfrogging human intelligence and capabilities in the not-too-distant future.
The academic said that AI developments are moving at breakneck speed and risk “creating a new species capable of making decisions that harm or even endanger humans.”
Photo: AFP
For some time, Bengio has been warning about companies moving too fast without guardrails, “potentially at the public’s expense.”
It is essential to have “rules that’ll be followed by all companies,” he said.
At a world-first AI summit in the UK early last month, Bengio was tasked with leading a team producing an inaugural report on AI safety.
The aim is to set priorities to inform future work on the security of the cutting-edge technology.
The renowned AI academic has brought together a “critical mass of AI researchers” through his Mila-Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute research institute, located in a former working-class neighborhood of Montreal.
His neighbors include AI research facilities of US tech giants Microsoft Corp, Meta Platforms Inc, IBM Corp and Google.
“This concentration of experts in artificial intelligence, which is greater than anywhere else in the world,” is what attracted Google, said Hugo Larochelle, the hoodie-wearing scientific director of DeepMind, the Silicon Valley giant’s AI subsidiary.
Early on, these researchers began thinking about the future of AI, and consultations with the public and researchers from all disciplines led in 2018 to a global AI charter called the Montreal Declaration for a Responsible Development of Artificial Intelligence.
“We knew early on that the scientific community needed to think about the integration of AI into society,” said Guillaume Macaux, The International Observatory on the Societal Impacts of AI and Digital Technology (OBVIA) vice president.
Its 220 researchers advise on government policies and raise public awareness of the possible positive effects and negative impacts of this cutting-edge technology.
Artists too are playing a part in “demystifying AI,” says Sandra Rodriguez, who splits her time making art in Montreal and teaching digital media at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US.
Her latest art installation includes a breathtaking futuristic world via a virtual reality (VR) headset, which enables visitors to converse with a bot inspired by US linguist Noam Chomsky.
Voice and text answers to queries appear simultaneously. With the touch of a finger, lists of alternative responses considered by the AI with their associated percentage gradient pop up.
“You quickly realize that it’s actually just an algorithm,” Rodriguez said.
“Montreal is a fantastic playground” for exploring the potential and limits of artificial intelligence, as well as “debating [related] ethical and societal issues,” she said.
Art becomes “necessary more than ever” to invite “a wider public to ask questions about the issues of artificial intelligence which will affect them tomorrow,” Rodriguez said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his