Applied Materials Inc, the largest US maker of chipmaking machinery, slid in late trading on Thursday following a report that it faces a US criminal investigation for allegedly contravening export restrictions to China.
The company is being probed by the US Department of Justice over dealings with China’s biggest chipmaker, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC, 中芯), Reuters reported.
The department is looking at whether Applied Materials sold hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment without the proper licenses, the news outlet reported, citing unidentified people familiar with the situation.
Photo: Reuters
The justice department declined to comment.
Applied Materials declined to discuss details of the case, but said that it previously disclosed a federal review of China deliveries.
“Applied Materials first disclosed in October 2022 that it received a subpoena from the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts requesting information relating to certain China customer shipments,” the company said in an e-mailed statement. “The company is cooperating with the government and remains committed to compliance with global laws, including export controls and trade regulations.”
The report overshadowed generally upbeat quarterly results from Applied Materials, which topped analysts’ estimates with its earnings and forecast.
Shares of Applied Materials, based in Santa Clara, California, fell as much as 7 percent in extended trading.
The company and its peers are operating under increasingly strict rules imposed by Washington on exports of chip technology to China. The US has said such rules are needed to protect national security and requires companies to seek licenses to send certain types of machines or have dealings with particular companies in the Asian nation.
Reuters said that Applied Materials produced chipmaking gear in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and then shipped it to a subsidiary in South Korea. It then went to China’s SMIC, people familiar with the investigation said.
SMIC was placed on a so-called entity list in December 2020 by the US Department of Commerce, which cited alleged links between the chipmaker and the Chinese military.
Applied Materials’ fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, excluding some items, amounted to US$2.12 a share, the company said. Sales were little changed in the quarter, which ended on Oct. 29, at US$6.72 billion. Analysts estimated earnings of US$1.99 a share and revenue of US$6.54 billion.
Fiscal first-quarter sales would be about US$6.47 billion, the company said. That compares with analysts’ average estimate of US$6.34 billion. Excluding some items, profit would be US$1.72 to US$2.08 a share in the period, which ends in January. The average projection was US$1.84 a share.
China had been one of the fastest-growing markets for chip equipment, but the US restrictions have begun to take a toll on sales.
A recent tightening of the export restrictions would not have an incremental impact on Applied Materials’ results, the company said on Thursday.
In fiscal fourth quarter, that market provided 44 percent of overall sales and would remain at an “elevated level” in the current period because of some large shipments to a computer memory customer, the company said.
Over time, China would shrink back down to about 30 percent of sales — its historical level, it said.
Dickerson said he remains bullish on the outlook for demand for his products overtime.
“Longer term, the setup is really great,” he said in an interview.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his