Chinese companies are buying US chipmaking equipment to make advanced semiconductors, despite a raft of new export curbs aimed at thwarting advances in the country’s semiconductor industry, a report said on Tuesday.
The 741-page annual report, released by the US-China Economic and Security Review Commission, takes aim at the export curbs imposed in October last year by the administration of US President Joe Biden, which seek to bar Chinese chipmakers from getting US chipmaking tools if they would be used to manufacture advanced chips at the 14-nanometer node or below.
With the US Department of Commerce using the 14-nanometer restriction limit, “importers are often able to purchase the equipment if they claim it is being used on an older production line, and with limited capacity for end-use inspections, it is difficult to verify the equipment is not being used to produce more advanced chips,” the report said.
Photo: Reuters
The finding comes as the US scrambles to figure out how Chinese telecoms giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) produced an advanced 7-nanometer chip to power its Mate 60 Pro smartphone at China’s top chipmaker, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC, 中芯), despite the export curbs announced last year.
Huawei and SMIC were also added to a trade restriction list in 2019 and 2020, which in theory bars US suppliers from shipping some technology to the companies.
China watchers had theorized that SMIC could have made the chip with equipment obtained prior to last year’s rules, but it had other options for obtaining the equipment from overseas, the report said.
The US plugged a key loophole in its efforts to stymie China’s access to advanced chipmaking tools by convincing allies Japan and the Netherlands, with similarly robust chipmaking equipment industries, to announce their own restrictions on exports of the technology.
However, China stockpiled equipment by taking advantage of the lag between the US’ rules, and Japan and the Netherlands’ similar moves in July and September respectively, the report said.
In the first eight months of this year, China imported US$3.2 billion of semiconductor manufacturing machines from the Netherlands, a 96.1 percent increase over the US$1.7 billion in the same period last year, the report said.
China’s imports of semiconductor equipment from all countries totaled US$13.8 billion in the period, it said.
The report does not outline a specific recommendation to address the gaps in the US rules, but urges the US Congress to request an annual evaluation, to be completed within six months by the US General Accountability Office and later made public, of the effectiveness of export controls on chipmaking equipment to China.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort