Shoppers in China have been tightening their purse strings, raising questions over how faltering consumer confidence could affect Saturday’s annual Singles’ Day online retail extravaganza.
Singles’ Day, also known as “Double 11,” was popularized by e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴). In the days leading up to the event, sellers on Alibaba and elsewhere often slash prices and offer enticing deals.
Given prevailing jitters about jobs and a weak property market, it is unclear how this year’s festival will fare.
Photo: AP
A Bain & Co survey of 3,000 Chinese shoppers found that more than three-quarters of respondents plan to spend less this year, or keep their spending level, given economic uncertainties.
Chinese consumers were much more eager to splurge before COVID-19 hit in 2020. Shoppers spent US$38 billion within 24 hours on Alibaba’s e-commerce platforms during Singles’ Day in 2019.
However, Chinese have become much more cautious over splurging out on extras, analysts say.
“The hype and excitement around Singles’ Day is sort of over,” China Market Research Group managing director Shaun Rein said. “Consumers have over the last nine months been getting discounts on a steady day-to-day basis, so they aren’t expecting major discounts on Singles’ Day except for consumables,” he said.
Rein said shoppers would likely be keener to pick up deals on daily necessities such as toothpaste, tissue paper and laundry detergent, rather than high-end cosmetics and luxury brands.
E-commerce platforms are emphasizing low prices for this year’s shopping spree event, hoping to attract value-conscious customers looking for good deals.
For this year’s campaign, Alibaba’s Tmall (天貓) boasted “Lowest prices on the Web,” while e-commerce platform JD.com Inc’s (京東) tagline for its Singles’ Day campaign is “Truly cheap.” Rival PDD Holdings Inc’s (拼多多) is “Low prices, every day.”
Some of their business strategies helped boost sales, it said.
JD.com yesterday said that its transaction volume, order and user numbers during the festival all hit another high, without providing specific figures.
It said that more than 60 brands have recorded more than 1 billion yuan (US$137 million) in sales, and that nearly 20,000 brands saw their transaction volume surge more than three times from the same period last year.
Earlier, the retailer said its new merchants saw their order numbers jump more than five times compared with the same period last month.
JD.com Consumption and Industry Development Research Institute senior researcher Lu Fei (陸飛) said the company’s sales figures showed there was still an “obvious” growth in consumption.
“The growth in the sales of mobile phones, jewelry and domestic appliances shows that there’s a user demand for quality growth, but undeniably, consumers are becoming more and more rational,” Lu said.
About 400 brands saw their gross merchandise value surpass 100 million yuan and 38,000 brands saw their GMV double year-on-year as of midnight on Saturday, an article on Alibaba’s Alizila news hub said.
The company’s Taobao (淘寶) and Tmall Group recorded growth in order numbers, among other areas, during the sale spree over the same period last year, it added.
Business volumes for express delivery service providers hit a new record during the sale period, China’s State Post Bureau said on Sunday.
Express delivery companies collected nearly 640 million express packages nationwide on Saturday, up 15.8 percent year-on-year, it said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his