GlobalWafers Co (環球晶圓), the world’s No. 3 silicon wafer supplier, on Tuesday offered a lukewarm outlook for this quarter and next after revenue last quarter fell 2.9 percent to NT$17.38 billion (US$538.95 million) from the previous quarter as customers digested inventory and were cautious about wafer restocking.
Revenue this quarter would be slightly lower than last quarter and revenue momentum next quarter would remain weak, GlobalWafers chairwoman Doris Hsu (徐秀蘭) told investors.
A pickup in demand is likely in the second quarter of next year, when customers’ inventories fall, Hsu said.
Photo: EPA-EFE
GlobalWafers factories making smaller-diameter wafers suffered the most, with a capacity utilization rate of 60 to 65 percent, while its 8-inch factory usage dropped to 80 to 90 percent as demand started trending down last quarter, she said.
Its 12-inch factories fared better, with a utilization rate of 90 to 100 percent, she added.
A couple of months ago, GlobalWafers saw that demand from some integrated device manufacturing (IDM) customers was soft, particularly for automotive components and applications, Hsu said.
The company now sees the slowdown as a short-term phenomenon, as those customers are striving to deplete inventories, she said.
Despite the inventory pressure, GlobalWafers has secured more long-term supply agreements (LTA) and most customers are honoring them, the company said.
The company expects average selling prices for LTA customers to climb next year, given higher depreciation costs and improving demand, it said.
Capital spending this year would fall short of the firm’s target of NT$40 billion, as it has pushed out deliveries of construction materials and manufacturing tools to cope with sagging demand, it said.
However, next year would be the peak of capital spending for GlobalWafers, it said, adding that the construction of its new US fab is on track.
Separately, contract chipmaker Vanguard International Semiconductor Corp (世界先進) on Tuesday warned of weakening revenue growth this quarter, as it faces challenges from softening demand for auto chips.
Wafer shipments this quarter are expected to contract by 8 to 10 percent from last quarter, Vanguard said.
Average selling prices would be little changed, or down 2 percent sequentially, due to soft demand and intensifying competition from Chinese peers, it said.
Gross margin would be between 22 and 24 percent this quarter, down from 26.5 percent last quarter, it said.
Factory utilization is to deteriorate to between 55 and 65 percent this quarter, it added.
“Overall, market demand remains soft,” Vanguard vice president Claire Chen (陳姿鈞) said. “We are seeing a recovery in large display driver ICs for TVs, while demand for notebook computers is stabilizing. The automotive and industrial segments are still under inventory correction.”
To cope with the challenging environment, Vanguard is exploring new business opportunities in emerging applications such as artificial intelligence (AI) servers, AI PCs, electric vehicles and high-performance computing devices, company president John Wei (尉濟時) said.
Hopefully, the efforts would yield significant results next year, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his