Digital officials, tech company bosses and researchers yesterday converged at a former code-breaking spy base near London to discuss and better understand the extreme risks posed by cutting-edge artificial intelligence (AI).
The two-day summit focuses on so-called frontier AI — the latest and most powerful systems that take the technology right up to its limits, but could come with as-yet-unknown dangers. They are underpinned by foundation models, which power chatbots such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT and Google’s Bard and are trained on vast pools of information scraped from the Internet.
About 100 people from 28 countries are expected to attend British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s two-day AI Safety Summit, although the British government has refused to disclose the guest list.
Photo: AP
The event is a labor of love for Sunak, a tech-loving former banker who wants the UK to be a hub of computing innovation and has framed the summit as the start of a global conversation about the safe development of AI.
However, US Vice President Kamala Harris was yesterday due to steal the focus with a separate speech in London setting out the US administration’s more hands-on approach.
She is due to attend the summit today alongside government officials from more than two dozen countries, including Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan and Saudi Arabia, as well as China, which was invited over the protests of some members of Sunak’s governing Conservative Party.
Tesla Inc CEO Elon Musk is also scheduled to discuss AI with Sunak in a livestreamed conversation tonight. The tech billionaire was among those who signed a statement earlier this year raising the alarm about the perils that AI poses to humanity.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and executives from US AI companies such as Anthropic PBC and influential computer scientists such as Yoshua Bengio, one of the “godfathers” of AI, are also expected.
The meeting is being held at Bletchley Park, a former top-secret base for World War II code-breakers that is considered as the birthplace of modern computing.
One of Sunak’s major goals is to get delegates to agree on a first-ever communique about the nature of AI risks.
He has said the technology brings new opportunities, while earning of frontier AI’s threat to humanity, because it could be used to create biological weapons or be exploited by terrorists to sow fear and destruction.
Only governments, not companies, can keep people safe from AI’s dangers, Sunak said last week. However, in the same speech, he also urged against rushing to regulate AI technology, saying it needs to be fully understood first.
In contrast, Harris aims to stress the need to address the here and now, including “societal harms that are already happening such as bias, discrimination and the proliferation of misinformation.”
Harris plans to say that US Joe Biden’s administration is “committed to hold companies accountable, on behalf of the people, in a way that does not stifle innovation,” including through legislation.
She is to point to Biden’s executive order this week, setting out AI safeguards, as evidence that the US is leading by example in developing rules for AI that work in the public interest.
Among measures she is to announce is an AI safety institute, run through the US Department of Commerce, to help set the rules for “safe and trusted AI.”
Harris is also to encourage other countries to sign up to a US-backed pledge to stick to “responsible and ethical” use of AI for military aims.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his