Following the closure of its intervention in the local stock market in mid-April, Taiwan’s National Financial Stabilization Fund reported that it had pocketed more than NT$6 billion (US$186 billion) in profit from its investments as of the end of last month, the Ministry of Finance (MOF) said yesterday.
The stabilization fund, which aims to mitigate market volatility, released the updated financial results in a fund committee meeting held earlier yesterday.
The committee said it had sold about 60 percent of the stocks bought during the intervention period that started on July 13 last year and ended on April 13 this year, and had posted a total of NT$5.33 billion in gains and received about NT$1.35 billion in cash dividends from its investments.
Photo: CNA
Net income as of the end of last month stood at NT$6.18 billion with a return rate of 19.63 percent, according to the ministry.
That intervention, the eighth ever, marked the stabilization fund’s longest market presence, a total of 275 days, including 181 trading sessions.
The intervention came after the TAIEX dipped below 14,000 points on July 12 last year amid escalating fears over rising interest rates in the US which were sending global financial markets into a tailspin.
During the intervention, the stabilization fund injected about NT$54.51 billion into the market to bolster share prices, the third-highest injection ever by the fund, the ministry said.
During that time, the TAIEX rose 13.29 percent, outperforming many foreign counterparts, it said.
Since the withdrawal from the local stock market, the TAIEX has risen 867.27 points, or 5.49 percent, ending at 16,672.03 yesterday, indicating that local shares have stayed stable despite the stabilization fund not currently intervening, the ministry said.
With Taiwan’s exports returning to a growth pattern last month, solid domestic demand and government measures to encourage investment, the local stock market is expected to stay stable, it said.
However, the ministry warned of the potential negative impacts of geopolitical risks and high inflation in the global markets, saying that the stabilization fund would continue to monitor the stock market closely and would make a prompt response if necessary.
The government set up the NT$500 billion stabilization fund in 2000 to serve as a buffer against unexpected external factors that might disrupt the local bourse.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his