Google on Wednesday said its latest premium-priced Pixel phone would have powerful generative artificial intelligence (AI) models running independently on the device, as the search engine giant seeks to lure buyers away from the latest iPhone.
The announcement by Google caps the autumn release season for big tech hardware that saw Apple Inc unveil the iPhone 15 series and Meta Platforms Inc officially launch its latest virtual reality headset.
Running on a powerful chip, Google’s Pixel 8 Pro would carry out some AI functions on the device itself instead of relying on transfers from cloud data centers that require heavy bandwidth.
Photo: AFP
At a launch event in New York, Google senior vice president of devices and services Rick Osterloh said the company’s AI teams had figured out how to “distill” AI models “into a version efficient enough to run on our flagship Pixel.”
This would greatly enhance existing AI tools on Pixel phones, such as removing blemishes or unwanted intrusions in photographs.
Later this on-device ability would expand to other AI features, Osterloh said.
Pixel phones would also begin testing an AI-amped assistant that would bring many of the abilities of Google’s ChatGPT-style AI assistant, Bard, onto the phone.
In time, the company said Bard would provide real-time help such as choosing the best path for a hike, sifting through e-mails or planning a birthday party. This would be handled through either spoken word, on-screen prompts or by using images, in a way similar to how the more powerful chatbots already work.
As with the other announcements, Google said that many of these AI powers were at an early phase and would be enhanced gradually.
Separately, Apple on Wednesday rolled out a software update to address an overheating issue that plagued some early buyers of the iPhone 15 Pro line.
The update, called iOS 17.0.3, is available as an over-the-air fix in the software update section of the iPhone settings app. The release notes say the update “provides important bug fixes, security updates, and addresses an issue that may cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.” The update was also released for older iPhones as well as iPads.
Some early iPhone 15 Pro owners reported that their iPhone could become hotter than normal. Apple on Saturday blamed bad code in apps including Uber, Instagram and the Asphalt 9: Legends racing game, in addition to a bug in the device’s software. The company said the new device set-up could overwork the processor and lead to overheating.
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort