Apple Inc on Tuesday unveiled its new iPhone lineup, with its Lightning charger ports replaced on the newest models by a universal charger after a tussle with the EU.
The European bloc is insisting that all phones and other small devices must be compatible with USB-C charging cables from the end of next year, a move it says would reduce waste and save money for consumers.
“USB-C has become a universally accepted standard. So we’re bringing USB-C to iPhone 15,” Apple vice president of iPhone marketing Kaiann Drance said at a launch event.
Photo: AFP
The update to Apple’s line comes as the Silicon Valley tech giant faces declining sales of iPhones, with premium prices pushing customers to delay switching to newer models.
The firm is also caught up in diplomatic turbulence between the US and China, with reports saying Beijing is banning civil servants from using its phones.
In the most recently ended quarter, Apple reported a 2.4 percent drop in iPhone sales, which account for nearly half of total revenue.
The firm reported US$15.8 billion in revenue from China in the quarter, accounting for nearly 20 percent of total revenue.
Executives pointed to the uptick in China sales in a period when overall sales fell.
Along with improvements to iPhone cameras and chips, Apple said that the iPhone 15, of which there are four varieties, would have internal components that simplify repair and a new frame that allows the back glass to be easily replaced.
In a surprise move, Apple said the iPhone 15 Pro would cost US$999 which is unchanged from its predecessor, while the iPhone 15 Pro Max would start at US$1,199, an increase of US$100.
In Taiwan, preorders for Apple’s latest iPhones are to start tomorrow, Apple Taiwan’s Web site says.
The iPhone 15 series would be available from Friday next week at prices ranging from NT$29,900 to NT$58,900 (US$935 to US$1,842), it said.
Apple on Tuesday also unveiled new models of the Apple Watch that would respond to a tap of the index finger and thumb to start and stop calls or other key functions.
Separately, Apple yesterday said that its iPhone 12 model was certified by multiple international bodies as compliant with global radiation standards, after a French watchdog ordered it to stop selling the handset on the grounds that it breaches European exposure limits.
France’s radiation watchdog ANFR told Apple on Tuesday to halt sales of iPhone 12s in France after tests that it said showed the phone’s specific absorption rate (SAR) — a measure of the rate of radiofrequency energy absorbed by the body from a piece of equipment — was higher than legally allowed.
The ANFR said it would send agents to Apple stores and other distributors to check that the model was no longer being sold.
Apple said it had provided ANFR with multiple Apple and independent third-party lab results proving its compliance with all applicable SAR regulations and standards in the world.
The firm said it was contesting the results of AFNR’s review and would continue to engage with the agency to show it is compliant.
Additional reporting by Reuters and staff writer
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his