China plans to expand a ban on the use of iPhones in sensitive departments to government-backed agencies and state companies, a sign of growing challenges for Apple Inc in its biggest foreign market and global production base.
Several agencies have begun instructing staff not to bring their iPhones to work, people familiar with the matter said, affirming a previous report from the Wall Street Journal.
Beijing intends to extend that restriction far more broadly to a plethora of state-owned enterprises and other government-controlled organizations, insiders said.
Photo: EPA
If Beijing’s plan goes ahead, it might later erode Apple’s position in a market that yields about one-fifth of its revenue, and from where it makes the majority of the world’s iPhones through factories that employ millions of Chinese.
China’s potential restrictions on Apple caused the company’s shares to slide 3.6 percent in New York on Wednesday, their biggest single-day drop since Aug. 4. Apple had gained 46 percent this year before the decline.
The blockade on iPhones coincides with stepped-up efforts to develop domestic technology that can match or even surpass US innovation. The release of a Huawei Technologies Co (華為) smartphone that contained an advanced made-in-China processor gained media attention on both sides of the Pacific last week. State media celebrated an early triumph against US sanctions, while one US lawmaker called for an investigation into possible violations of those curbs.
Huawei uses an advanced 7-nanometer processor built by Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC, 中芯), China’s top chipmaker, to power its latest smartphone, a teardown commissioned by Bloomberg showed.
Existing rules require any company that intends to supply Huawei with US technology, which is present throughout SMIC’s operations, to get approval from Washington. It is unclear whether SMIC has a US license to supply Huawei.
“It sure looks like it did [violate sanctions],” US House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs Chairman Michael McCaul said on Wednesday at a briefing at the US embassy in the Hague, adding that SMIC continues “to try to get our intellectual property.”
Meanwhile, South Korea’s SK Hynix Inc has opened an investigation into the use of its chips in the latest phone from Huawei, after a teardown of the device revealed its memory and flash storage inside.
Huawei’s Mate 60 Pro uses Hynix’s LPDDR5 and NAND flash memory, said TechInsights, which conducted the teardown of the device for Bloomberg.
The handset’s components are almost entirely provided by Chinese suppliers, and Hynix’s hardware is an isolated example of materials sourced from overseas, TechInsights said.
Icheon-based Hynix “no longer does business with Huawei since the US introduced restrictions against the company and, with regard to the issue, we started an investigation to find out more details,” a company spokeswoman said to Bloomberg on Thursday last week.
It is unclear how Huawei might have procured the memory chips from Hynix. which makes most of its semiconductors at plants in China. One possibility is that Huawei might be tapping a stockpile of components it accumulated as far back as 2020 before the full set of US trade curbs had been imposed on it.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his