Leading industrial PC maker Advantech Co (研華) yesterday offered a conservative outlook for the second half of the year after posting record sales and profit in the first half, citing China’s shaky economic recovery and high global inflation as factors.
For this quarter, the company expects revenue momentum to weaken on the back of a significant slowdown in new orders, Advantech chief financial officer and president of general management Eric Chen (陳清熙) told an investors’ conference in Taipei.
Third-quarter sales are likely to drop 10 percent from the previous quarter, or down 20 percent from a year earlier, the company said, adding that the outlook for the fourth quarter would improve slightly.
Photo: Fang Wei-chieh, Taipei Times
That comes as the company's book-to-bill ratio has been on a downtrend and remained below 1 over the past few quarters due to weakening order momentum from clients and waning demand for consumer electronics.
The ratio fell further to 0.79 last quarter, from 0.82 percent in the first quarter and 0.92 percent in the fourth quarter of last year, suggesting a downbeat sales outlook going forward.
Advantech, the first regional industrial PC vendor dedicated to smart cities and the Internet of Things (IoT), expects revenue this quarter to range between US$480 million and US$500 million, it said.
Gross margin would be between 38.5 and 40.5 percent, while operating margin would be between 16 and 18 percent, it added.
“Despite the anticipated slowdown in revenue momentum in the second half of the year, the company’s overall profitability is projected to steadily increase, as raw material prices normalize and operating efficiency improves,” Chen said.
Advantech reported net profit of NT$3 billion (US$94.9 million) in the second quarter, up 22.26 percent from a year earlier and 1.52 percent from the previous quarter, or earnings per share of NT$3.51, the third-highest in the company’s history and beating market expectations.
Second-quarter revenue was NT$17.03 billion, up 1.21 percent year-on-year, the company said.
Both gross and operating margins improved last quarter and outperformed the company’s historical average to reach 41.2 percent and 20.1 percent respectively, it added.
Overall, Advantech’s cumulative net profit in the first half of the year increased 18.55 percent year-on-year to NT$5.96 billion, or earnings per share of NT$6.97, while revenue grew 4.49 percent to NT$34.42 billion, both record highs.
By region, sales to Europe and North Asia in the first half remained strong, rising 13 percent each from a year earlier, while shipments to North America rose 4 percent.
However, sales to China fell 17 percent due to sluggish demand, the company said.
Sales dropped 27 percent in Taiwan and shrank 15 percent in emerging markets in the first six months compared with a year earlier, it added.
The company said its embedded IoT group showed robust sales growth in the first half, increasing 13 percent from a year earlier, while applied computing and industrial cloud groups reported single-digit percentage growth over the same period.
However, the industrial IoT group saw sales fall 8 percent from a year earlier, affected by China’s slowdown, while the service IoT group’s sales dropped 13 percent due to the deceleration of shipments for major medical and retail projects, the company said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his