South Korea is to allow new domestic players to enter its banking industry for the first time in 30 years, a move meant to boost competition in a sector dominated by five major lenders.
The country’s financial regulator would allow financial firms to apply for nationwide commercial bank licenses, the South Korean Financial Services Commission (FSC) said in a statement yesterday, the first time it is doing so since 1992. The move is seen paving the way for competition that could help lower interest rate costs for consumers.
Lenders made record profits during the COVID-19 pandemic and “paid their interest income as bonuses and dividends for employees and shareholders rather than returning it to citizens,” the FSC said in the statement.
Daegu Bank, a regional banking unit of DGB Financial Group Inc, might become the first firm to take advantage of the expanded rule, with an eye to transforming into a nationwide bank, it said.
The government’s move came after South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol earlier this year criticized banks for having a “money feast”: booking “easy” profits from the gap between interest rates on deposits and loans, while rewarding their executives with big bonuses as borrowers struggled to pay high interest rates.
Since then, financial regulators launched a task force and the country’s antitrust watchdog probed major lenders to assess whether they colluded on loan rates.
The top five South Korean lenders — Kookmin Bank, Shinhan Bank, KEB Hana Bank, Woori Bank and NongHyup Bank — account for about 63 percent of the country’s total 4,115 trillion won (US$3.16 trillion) in bank assets and about three-quarters of deposits, the FSC said.
The lenders posted a combined 12.7 trillion won in net income last year, surging about 18 percent from the prior year. They handed out 2 trillion won in bonuses to employees last year, it said.
Despite the removal of one major hurdle, smaller firms still face an uphill battle entering an industry dominated by giant competitors, SK Securities Co analyst Seol Yong-jin said.
“Even though regional banks can get nationwide commercial banking licenses, whether they can get nationwide clients is a different issue — I doubt it,” Seol said by telephone.
South Korean banks are not alone in facing criticism for excessive profits during a time of surging inflation and high costs for consumers. British lawmakers have criticized the largest banks for offering stingy savings rates to customers. US President Joe Biden has also called out banks for charging excessive fees.
In South Korea, the FSC said it would also allow more online-only banks and ease the loan-to-deposit rules for foreign banks’ local branches.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his