Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (遠傳電信) yesterday did not extend an agreement with Asia Pacific Telecom Co (亞太電信) to push forward a merger-and-acquisition deal, an unexpected move prompting speculation about potential differences between the parties over the content of the agreement.
Based on the agreement, the two parties are eligible to extend the expiration to Aug. 31, after an extension on May 1.
Far EasTone yesterday said that it “did not intend to extend the agreement.”
“We will cautiously evaluate issues regarding the merger based on the spirit of the original agreement,” the telecom said in a statement.
Those issues include when the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) would approve the deal, and any condition the agency would impose on the approval, Far EasTone said. The FTC has put off the review to Sept. 30, given the complexity of the merger.
The National Communications Commission approved the NT$24.7 billion (US$793.3 million) acquisition conditionally in January. Taiwan Mobile Co’s (台灣大哥大) approval of Taiwan Star Telecom Corp (台灣之星) was also cleared based on several conditions.
Taiwan Mobile slashed about 72 percent, or NT$8.5 billion, of its offering to absorb financially strapped Taiwan Star to NT$19.7 billion from a previously proposed NT$28.2 billion through share swaps. That prompted speculation that Far EasTone could follow suit, seeking to lower the price to merge with Asia Pacific Telecom.
Far EasTone said earlier this month that it expected to complete the merger with Asia Pacific Telecom as early as the fourth quarter of this year, saying that it would create NT$3 billion in synergy benefits within one year of the merger.
Far EasTone originally expected that 70 percent to 80 percent of the base station consolidation would be finished in the fourth quarter.
Far EasTone Telecommunications’ share price rose by 0.38 percent to NT$78.6 in Taipei trading yesterday, while Asia Pacific Telecom’s share price increased by 0.15 percent to NT$6.69, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his