Foreign companies in China are uncertain about what they are allowed to do following police raids on consulting firms, and want “greater clarity” about how newly expanded national security and other rules would be enforced, a foreign business group said yesterday.
The British Chamber of Commerce in China said a survey of its members found they are more optimistic following December’s lifting of anti-virus controls that blocked most travel into and out of China.
It said they want to invest, but are waiting for steps to “restore the trust and certainty” in China amid tension with Europe and Washington and official plans to promote economic self-reliance.
Photo: AP
“If there is greater clarity and greater certainty, then we believe that companies will commit more to China,” chamber chairman Julian MacCormac told a news conference.
About 70 percent of companies “are really waiting to see” how conditions develop before taking action, he said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping’s (習近平) government says foreign companies are welcome and is trying to encourage them to invest more.
However, they are uneasy following the expansion of national security and other rules with little explanation, and official plans to create competitors to global suppliers of processor chips and other technology, sometimes using subsidies and market barriers that have strained relations with the EU, Washington and other trading partners.
On Sunday, the government banned use of products from the biggest US maker of memory chips, Micron Technology Inc, in computers that handle sensitive information.
It said Micron had unspecified security flaws, but gave no explanation.
Companies are on edge after police raided offices of two consultancies, Bain & Co and Capvision, and a due diligence firm, Mintz Group. Authorities have given no explanation. They say companies are obliged to obey the law, but have given no indication of possible violations.
The British chamber represents about 650 companies, many of them in finance, consulting and other service industries that might be affected by tighter curbs on what information can be gathered in China and how it can be used and stored.
Yesterday’s report included 171 suggestions for Chinese regulators, including “greater clarity” about data restrictions on the auto industry and addressing what it said is unfair treatment of foreign companies in government purchasing.
Sally Xu, director of the chamber’s government relations, said member companies that responded to a request for questions ahead of a meeting next week with a Chinese Ministry of Commerce official all asked about the investigations of consultants.
“Our companies are concerned about this,” Xu said. “They wonder, where is the line between what we can do and cannot do?”
A survey last month found 76 percent of companies that responded are more optimistic following the end of anti-virus controls that blocked most travel into and out of China, the chamber said.
However, its report said the outlook is clouded by an unpredictable business environment, political tension and “increased talk of self-sufficiency.”
“This language around security and self-reliance needs to be balanced against the message of ‘welcome to come to China,’ because I think there is some nervousness,” McCormac said.
“It raises uncertainty about, what’s the future like for me as a company in China?” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his