Irish airline Ryanair Holdings PLC on Tuesday ordered 300 Boeing Co 737 Max jets with a list price of more than US$40 billion, representing the US aerospace giant’s latest big contract in a fast-recovering aviation market.
The announcement, comprising 150 firm orders plus 150 options for new fuel-efficient aircraft, represents “the largest order ever placed by an Irish company for US manufactured goods,” Ryanair said in a statement, as it is eyeing big growth over the next decade.
The jets are set for delivery between 2027 and 2033. Airlines traditionally negotiate substantial discounts on list prices, especially for big orders.
Photo: Reuters
Executives did not release the financial details of the transaction, but Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary described the agreement as a “win-win” in an interview held jointly with Boeing chief executive Dave Calhoun.
The Dublin-based carrier said the deal would be subject to shareholder approval at its annual general meeting in September, owing to the size and scale of the transaction.
The order covers Boeing’s new 737 Max-10 aircraft, which have 228 seats, about 20 percent more than the current generation of comparable Boeing jets, O’Leary said.
At a signing event at Boeing’s Arlington, Virginia, headquarters, O’Leary said that the new aircraft “boast lower costs” that would be passed on “in the form of lower airfares, therefore driving our growth.”
Ryanair added that the new 228-seater jets, alongside a major recruitment drive, would help facilitate a surge in passenger numbers.
The carrier, which specializes in competitively priced short and medium-distance trips within Europe, is targeting an 80 percent jump in annual passenger traffic to 300 million travelers by 2034, compared with this year.
It plans to recruit more than 10,000 new cabin crew members, engineers and pilots to help meet the goal. The company hopes to garner a 30 percent share of the European market.
The deal is the latest lift for Boeing, which is emerging from a major slump due to the COVID-19 downturn and the lengthy grounding of the 737 Max after two fatal crashes.
Calhoun said he was confident that Boeing would meet the terms of the contract.
When Boeing presented its long-term outlook in November last year, the US manufacturer anticipated the logistics difficulties that have dogged the industry during the COVID-19 pandemic would improve this year and next year.
“And that is what’s been happening,” Calhoun said on Tuesday.
He also characterized the US Federal Aviation Administration’s certification process for the Max-10 as on track.
“No technical issues have arisen such that there’s a concern that we won’t be able to resolve,” Calhoun said.
“It’s documentation, documentation, documentation,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his