Apple Inc is betting on Korean Web comics to give a jolt of life to its Books app.
The Cupertino, California-based firm signed a three-year exclusive contract with South Korean start-up Kenaz in December last yearto supply online comics known as Webtoons.
The new content was rolled out in Japan last month, and is set to cover all 51 countries where Books is available, the firm said.
The value of the deal was not disclosed.
Webtoons are South Korea’s favorite way of consuming digital comics, and provide the inspiration for many of the country’s global hits from dark zombie comedy All of Us Are Dead to monster epic Sweet Home.
The format, which has users scrolling through full-color, super-short episodes on their phones or PCs, has been around for decades. Unlike conventional manga or comic books, authors draw Webtoons accounting for how much screen space is created by a single scroll-down on a device. In Japan, the genre is known as “tate yomi manga,” or vertically read manga.
“North America doesn’t really have a significant lead player in Webtoons yet,” Kenaz founder and CEO Woody Lee said. “Apple Books has a chance at becoming a competitive player in this field pretty quickly.”
Global interest in South Korean entertainment has exploded in recent years with the rise of series such as Squid Game and the Academy Award-winning film Parasite.
The Motion Picture Association of America organized a summit of Hollywood executives in Washington last month to take advantage of South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol’s visit to the US and discuss collaboration.
In September, Books global head Kashif Zafar and head of content Sasha Norkin flew to Seoul to discuss the Kenaz deal for three days before making a final call, Lee said.
It has been a while since Apple last introduced a new service to its Books app, which has not benefited from the massive investment that other services such as Apple Music and Apple TV have received.
Apple studied Webtoons as a potential addition to its portfolio for more than two years before getting involved in detailed discussions with Kenaz, Lee said.
Apple’s decision to tap the Webtoons market underscores a growing appetite for the category. It follows a move by Amazon.com Inc in March to launch a Webtoons section on Kindle for Japanese users.
In Asia, South Korea’s Naver Corp and Kakao Corp are among the biggest distributors, while China’s Tencent Holdings Ltd (騰訊) and ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動) have also invested in Webtoons services.
Apple likely chose Kenaz over bigger players such as Naver and Kakao — which publish Webtoons on their own, well-developed platforms — to ensure access to original content without any conflicts over distribution, Lee said.
The founder expects about 30 percent of Kenaz’s Webtoons to be first published via Apple Books. Kenaz, home to about 140 authors, was valued at 86 billion won (US$65.2 million) during its latest funding round.
The company plans another funding round later this year and to go public next year.
Kenaz is now working with David Franzoni, who wrote Hollywood blockbuster Gladiator, to recreate the story as a Webtoon series. The start-up is also working with popular French writer Bernard Werber to convert his Ants trilogy of novels into online comics.
Its Webtoon service for Apple Books in North America is to be launched in the near future, Lee said.
“There is just so much demand for original intellectual property content these days,” Lee said. The new hot topic in the content market is to identify a story IP with growth potential and create an entire value chain out of it.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort