Chinese financial data providers have stopped providing key corporate information to overseas clients, underscoring the growing difficulty foreign firms face when trying to obtain information that Beijing might deem sensitive.
Wind Information Co (萬得資訊) has in the past few months stopped allowing customers using its platform outside mainland China from accessing its corporate registry database, multiple people familiar with the matter said.
The change is due to regulatory requirements, and other parts of its service are continuing as normal, they said, declining to be identified because the matter is sensitive.
Wind collects data on more than 200 million enterprises and 270 million legal representatives and executives, its Web site says.
It has information about company shareholders and affiliates, fundraising and investing activities, legal disputes and operation risks.
Registry databases at Qichacha (企查查) and TianYanCha (天眼查) — companies that provide similar services — have also been inaccessible for some time to users outside mainland China, several other people said.
More than 10 overseas users of Wind contacted by Bloomberg said they could still access other data from Wind apart from the corporate registry database and did not have problems renewing subscriptions to the service.
The Wall Street Journal over the weekend reported that some unidentified foreign firms, including think tanks and research firms, were unable to renew subscriptions to Wind over what the company described as “compliance” issues.
The restriction highlights the more difficult environment facing investors operating in China, despite Beijing’s push to improve ties globally. US consultancy firms are under the spotlight in particular, with authorities in recent weeks targeting the China offices of Bain & Co, Mintz Group and Capvision, media reports said.
The government last month passed a new counterespionage law that expanded the list of activities that could be considered spying, intensifying the risks for foreign firms.
The increasing pressure on foreign firms operating in China appears to run counter to Beijing’s efforts to improve diplomatic ties in the wake of the country’s reopening.
Chinese Premier Li Qiang (李強) in March vowed to establish a “broad space” for international companies to develop there. China has welcomed a host of leaders and business delegations, including from Germany and France.
Last month, China’s Politburo urged greater efforts at boosting foreign investment.
Global investors have turned more cautious on the country, despite improving economic fundamentals. The MSCI China Index is down about 17 percent from its January peak, while MSCI Inc’s global index is little changed over the same period.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his