Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is in talks with partners to spend as much as 10 billion euros (US$11 billion) to build a chipmaking fab in Saxony, Germany, people familiar with the matter said.
The planned venture between TSMC, NXP Semiconductors NV, Robert Bosch GmbH and Infineon Technologies AG would include state subsidies and would have a budget of at least 7 billion euros, with the total investment likely closer to 10 billion euros, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information is private.
A final decision has not been made and the plans could still change, they said.
Photo: Lam Yik Fei, Bloomberg
TSMC is still evaluating the feasibility of building a plant in Europe, spokeswoman Nina Kao (高孟華) said, without elaborating.
Spokespeople for NXP, Bosch, Infineon and the German Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action declined to comment on the project.
TSMC chairman Mark Liu (劉德音) told shareholders in 2021 that the firm had started assessments on setting up manufacturing operations in Germany, Europe’s largest economy.
The proposed European plant would focus on chips for the automotive sector, TSMC chief executive C.C. Wei (魏哲家) has said.
Similar projects in Germany have sought as much as 40 percent of their funding from subsidies as the EU attempts to double its share of global semiconductor production by 2030.
Last month, the EU passed the 43 billion euros Chips Act to boost domestic output after supply chain disruptions during the COVID-19 pandemic, and as tensions between the US and China escalate.
Any state aid would require approval from the European Commission, and the consortium is in talks with officials over the size of the package, the people said.
In Japan, where TSMC is spending US$8.6 billion with partners to build a plant, it would receive about half of the funding from the government.
The German facility, which TSMC could approve as soon as in August, would focus on producing 28-nanometer chips, some of the people said. If built, it would be the company’s first fab in the EU.
On Tuesday, Infineon broke ground on a semiconductor fab in Dresden, a city in Saxony that also hosts production facilities for GlobalFoundries Inc and Bosch.
Chipmakers tend to build plants in clusters, so that the expensive facilities can take advantage of infrastructure and workers that are already there.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort