Global banking giant HSBC Holdings PLC yesterday announced a surge in pretax profits to US$12.9 billion in the first quarter of this year, projecting healthy earnings for the rest of the year.
The London-headquartered bank’s first-quarter profits represented a US$9 billion jump from the same period last year.
The performance enabled HSBC to announce its first quarterly dividend since 2019, a return of US$0.10 per share, and a share buy-back of up to US$2 billion.
Photo: Reuters
“Our strong first quarter performance provides further evidence that our strategy is working,” HSBC CEO Noel Quinn said in a statement.
“Our profits were spread across our major geographies, and all three global businesses performed well as we continued to meet our customers’ needs through our internationally connected franchises,” Quinn said.
Revenue jumped 64 percent to US$20.2 billion.
The revenue spike was in part due to the reversal of an impairment related to the planned sale of its French retail banking operations, HSBC said.
Buoyed by rising global interest rates, the bank said that it expected US$34 billion in net interest income this year.
Pressure has been mounting on HSBC since its largest shareholder, Chinese insurer Ping An Insurance Group Co (平安保險集團), called for the bank to break up its business as part of a “strategic restructuring” to unlock shareholder value.
The company has urged its shareholders to vote down the proposal at its annual general meeting in Birmingham, England, scheduled for Friday.
HSBC bought the British arm of failed US lender Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) for a nominal US$1.2 in a rescue deal in March.
Quinn said the acquisition fits with the bank’s overall growth plans.
“We remain focused on continuing to improve our performance and maintaining tight cost discipline, but we also saw an opportunity to invest in SVB UK to accelerate our growth plans,” he said. “We believe they’re a natural fit for HSBC, and that we’re uniquely placed to take them global.”
Quinn has also said the SVB acquisition led HSBC to attract “significant inflows” worth billions.
The sale, overseen by the Bank of England and His Majesty’s Treasury, came hours after the collapse of the California-based SVB, one of the biggest bank failures in US history.
HSBC yesterday said in its earnings statement that an “unexpected rise in interest rates in France” has made the sale of its French retail banking operations “less certain.”
The sale of HSBC’s banking business in Canada is expected to be completed in the first quarter of next year, the bank said.
The Asia-focused financier slashed 35,000 jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to refocus on its most profitable areas in Asia and the Middle East.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his