The recovery in Macau’s casino sector gained traction last month, with gaming revenue climbing 449.9 percent to reach a three-year high as Chinese tourists continue to flock to the gambling hub.
Gross gaming revenue reached 14.7 billion Macau patacas (US$1.81 billion), data released yesterday by the Macau Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau showed.
The result was better than the median analyst estimate of a 393 percent year-on-year increase, and is the highest monthly taking since January 2020. It was still more than one-third below the 2019 level.
Photo: Reuters
China’s five-day Workers’ Day holiday that runs through tomorrow would be a key test of the strength of the tourism boom.
Macau expects at least 70,000 visitors per day on average in the period, and had already seen numbers exceed 60,000 a day in late last month, GGRAsia reported, citing Macao Tourism Office head Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes.
That would be about 64 percent of the average daily visitation in May 2019. The government is to release last month’s tourist data later this month.
Casinos are also facing a labor shortage that has caused some resorts to close hotel rooms and cut services, resulting in a surge in room rates and deterring some travelers from visiting.
Hotel room prices are higher than they were in 2019, even though the overall booking rate is slightly below pre-COVID-19-pandemic levels, Morningstar Inc analyst Jennifer Song said.
Sands China Ltd (金沙中國) chief operating officer Grant Chum (鄭君諾) last month said that the group only opened about 7,700 rooms in the first quarter, which means it had shut 38 percent of its hotel units in the period, and expects to operate near full capacity by the summer holiday season.
While the casinos’ recovery has been boosted by a domestic tourism revival, growth could flatten in the second half of the year when China adds more international flights and pent-up travel demand normalizes, Credit Suisse Group AG analysts, including Kenneth Fong (方錦聰), said.
Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg said that Macau’s gaming revenue this year might return to 56 percent of the pre-pandemic level, but A full recovery is likely to take years as the sector grapples with longer-term risks, including China’s crackdown on high-rolling gamblers.
Gross gaming revenue next year is expected to recover to 71 percent of the 2019 level, the survey said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his