Countries must do more to avert the costly consequences of growing global trade fragmentation and help avert a “second cold war,” IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said on Thursday.
“I am among those who know what are the consequences of a cold war: It is loss of talent and contribution to the world,” Georgieva told a news conference at the official start of the World Bank and IMF’s spring meetings.
“I don’t want to see that repeating,” she said, adding that the world should “rationally accept there will be some cost, there will be some fragmentation, but keep these costs low.”
Photo: Bloomberg
Georgieva was born and raised in Bulgaria, a former Soviet satellite state.
Multilateral institutions like the World Bank and IMF have an important role to play in preventing the world from splintering into different blocs with severe economic consequences, she said.
An IMF report earlier this week predicted that growing trade fragmentation resulting from events like Brexit, the US-China trade war and the Russian invasion of Ukraine could make the global economy as much as 7 percent smaller than it otherwise would have been.
Policymakers had a crucial role to play to “defend the interests” of their citizens, Georgieva said.
“If we fail to be more rational, then people everywhere will be worse off,” she said.
Progress has been made on a number of key issues for the World Bank and IMF, the bank’s outgoing president, David Malpass, said earlier on Thursday at an event marking the official start of the spring meetings.
Member states agreed on several steps to boost the World Bank’s financial capacity, Malpass said, freeing it up to lend “as much as [US]$50 billion of new financing” over the next decade.
French President Emmanuel Macron is to host a summit in June that would look to extend some of these new rules to other financial institutions and build a “new financial framework,” French Minister of Finance Bruno le Maire told reporters at the IMF.
Progress was also made during a debt roundtable discussion on Wednesday, Malpass said.
For the first time, these talks included not only creditor countries, but also the private sector, and representatives from Zambia, Ghana, Ethiopia and Sri Lanka, which are all facing debt challenges.
India holds the rotating presidency of the G20 and co-chaired the meeting on Wednesday.
Indian Minister of Finance Nirmala Sitharaman said that she expected a resolution for “many” debtor countries “at the earliest” opportunity.
The World Bank’s and the IMF’s leaders said that progress had also been made on replenishing lending facilities for low-income countries, which have been depleted by COVID-19 restrictions and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Britain, Portugal and Japan have all already come forward with “substantial new pledges or contributions” toward replenishing these funds in recent days, Georgieva said.
Georgieva and Malpass warned that inflation remained too high in many countries.
“We expect central banks to stay the course in the fight against inflation, holding a tight stance to prevent a deanchoring of inflation expectations,” Georgieva said.
Governments also needed to work to reduce their budget deficits and do more to improve sluggish growth prospects for the world economy in the medium term, she added.
Georgieva called on member states to speed up digital transformation in many countries, improve the business environment and accelerate the green energy transition.
“We estimate [US]$1 trillion a year is needed just for renewable energy and investment that can translate into growth and jobs,” she said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his