Softbank Group Corp is moving to sell the majority of its stake in Chinese Internet giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴), the Financial Times reported, the latest sign of long-time China investors lowering their exposure.
The Japanese technology investor has sold more than US$7 billion in Alibaba shares this year through prepaid forward contracts, after selling US$29 billion last year, the newspaper said.
The contracts give Softbank the option to buy the shares back, but the group has settled previous deals by handing over the stock, the Times reported.
Photo: Reuters
Pummeled by losses on its start-up bets, Softbank has said it would prioritize financial discipline before seeking the right time to go on the offensive with investments.
Investors are also speculating if the company might launch another buyback program.
Alibaba shares fell as much as 5.2 percent in Hong Kong yesterday, erasing about US$13 billion of market value. Softbank shares were little changed in Tokyo after dropping about 8 percent this year.
The sales are likely to reduce the Japanese conglomerate’s ownership of Alibaba to less than 4 percent, the paper said, citing its analysis of regulatory filings.
That is down from about a 14.6 percent stake the company said it was slated to hold as of the end of September last year. Softbank once owned about one-third of the company spanning from an early US$20 million investment in one of venture capital’s most famous bets.
“We think progress in the monetization of asset holdings would boost the chances of a buyback announcement,” Citibank analyst Mitsunobu Tsuruo said.
Alibaba, along with other technology companies, has come under intense scrutiny from the Chinese government in recent years, and its shares have tumbled.
The online commerce leader last month said it plans to split its US$240 billion empire into six units to raise funds individually and explore initial public offerings.
Softbank, once one of Silicon Valley’s largest investors, has shouldered billions of US dollars of losses on its Vision Fund, which had lifted valuations in start-ups worldwide with its large bets on hundreds of fledgling companies.
The Vision Fund unit last year cut staff as it stopped chasing new investments.
Softbank this week said it plans to sell early-stage venture capital arm Softbank Ventures Asia Corp, one of the avenues by which it scouted promising start-ups.
Softbank founder and CEO Masayoshi Son has said he wants to focus on a planned listing of chip design unit Arm Ltd later this year and make the debut “the biggest” in the history of the chip industry.
The relisting of Arm, which had traded on the London exchange prior to Softbank’s US$32 billion acquisition in 2016, is expected to be a windfall for the world’s biggest technology investor.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his