China’s exports unexpectedly rose last month as demand from most Asian countries and Europe improved, and as the nation’s factories resumed production, boosting the economy’s outlook.
Exports jumped 14.8 percent in US dollar terms last month from a year earlier, partly driven by an uptick in shipments to Southeast Asian nations, along with resilient demand from South Korea and Europe.
Economists had forecast a fall surpassing 7 percent, and the surprisingly strong result was the most significant divergence from expectations since at least 2018.
Photo: AFP
Imports declined 1.4 percent, leaving a trade surplus of US$88.2 billion for the month, the Chinese General Administration of Customs said yesterday.
Over the past three years, booming export demand was a strong support for the world’s second-largest economy, and helped compensate for weak domestic spending caused by the country’s housing market slump and COVID-19 restrictions.
Exports began to contract from late last year as demand from the US, the EU and other countries all lost momentum. The rise last month was the first in six months.
“It was very surprising indeed,” Societe Generale SA economist Michelle Lam (林雪潔) said.
“Much of the rebound was likely driven by easing supply disruptions. Its impact on exports and production was likely far more serious than previously envisaged,” Lam said. “Therefore, today’s data seem to suggest the slowdown in external demand is not as concerning as previously thought.”
Stocks in China and Hong Kong pared losses after the data, with Hang Seng China Enterprises Index of Chinese shares traded in Hong Kong down 0.6 percent at the midday break. It fell 2.3 percent earlier in the day. The yield on 10-year government bonds rose one basis point, set for the first increase in five sessions, while the yuan was little changed.
The rebound in exports was a surprise since indicators earlier this month seemed to suggest the weakness had continued.
South Korean exports, a bellwether for global trade, plunged further last month, although that nation’s trade is much more reliant on the electronics industry than China.
“The strong March reading could reflect some monthly volatility caused by shifts in demand and capacity to get goods out the door during the Lunar New Year holiday, which fell in January this year,” Bloomberg economist Eric Zhu (朱懌) said.
“The March performance could reflect catch-up — which won’t last. Looking ahead, we see weakening global demand weighing exports, even if companies no longer need to worry about pandemic-related disruptions to production and logistics,” Zhu said.
“China’s foreign trade in the first quarter showed relatively strong resilience and came off a stable start to the year with signs of improvement,” Chinese General Administration of Customs spokesman Lyu Daliang (呂大良) said in Beijing.
However, difficulties and challenges remain, due to high global inflation, slowing growth in major economies, rising protectionism and geopolitical risks, he added.
The WTO last week said that global trade could slump below historical growth trends this year, reaching 1.7 percent amid geopolitical tensions and economic pressures including inflation, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, monetary policy tightening and financial market uncertainty.
Trade weakness is also being seen in factory sentiment data.
In yuan terms, China’s exports rose about 23 percent last month from a year ago, up from 5.2 percent in February, while imports increased about 6.3 percent last month after rising 11.1 percent in February, data compiled by Bloomberg showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his