Mainland Chinese companies are pushing up demand for upscale shared office space in Hong Kong’s central business district.
The Executive Centre, the biggest flexible workspace landlord in the district’s grade-A buildings, last month saw a fivefold increase in new leases from January.
About 70 percent of the new tenants were Chinese companies, it said.
Photo: Bloomberg
The removal of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions in China has led to an increase of client interest in the territory.
“During COVID, the businesses in mainland China had time to reflect and organize themselves,” Executive Centre CEO Paul Salnikow said. “Now we are absolutely seeing a concerted flow of companies coming in tours of five, 10 people” to take up offices in Hong Kong.
The Executive Centre, owned by KKR & Co and TIGA Investments Pte, holds about 70 percent of the premium shared offices in the district.
While multinational companies make up the majority of its tenant base, Chinese firms are growing.
It recently signed Tongcheng Travel Holdings Ltd (同程旅行), an online travel agency, as a new tenant among other mainland Chinese financial operations.
Hong Kong has seen an inflow of businesses from a diverse range of sectors.
“There are more companies from emerging industries like technology, media and gaming setting up in Hong Kong,” CBRE Group Inc CEO Ada Fung (馮慧詩) said. “They tend to rent in flexible space, unlike banks which want traditional offices.”
Meanwhile, Chinese tech giant ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動) is moving to a bigger office in the district’s International Finance Centre as the company expands its presence in the territory, a company spokesperson said.
TikTok’s owner previously set up a temporary base in a Hong Kong coworking space to house dozens of employees in legal and finance.
ByteDance’s lease would cover about 1,900m2, valued at about HK$130 (US$16.56) per square meter, the Hong Kong Economic Times reported, citing unidentified people in the market.
Firms including BNP Paribas SA and Julius Baer Group Ltd have given up space in the International Finance Centre in the past few years.
Dwindling demand from multinationals and growing supply have weighed on commercial property, potentially causing rents for premium offices to fall as much as 5 percent this year, CBRE said.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort