The Bank of Japan’s (BOJ) yield curve control and negative interest rates are appropriate amid the current economy, new BOJ Governor Kazuo Ueda said, signaling any significant changes to its monetary policy framework might be unlikely for the time being.
Speaking at his inaugural news conference as governor, Ueda also said he is open to the idea of a policy review from a longer-term standpoint, although he would like to discuss it with other board members before any decision.
“Given the current economic, price and financial conditions, I think it’s appropriate to keep up the current yield curve control,” he said.
Photo: Reuters
While many economists expected some form of change from the new governor by June in a Bloomberg survey published early last month, for now, Ueda seemed to suggest that a shift is not necessary.
Still, he kept his options open by saying there is a need to closely watch developments, and that he would carefully explain should the BOJ make any changes to policy.
The yen retreated as Ueda spoke and Japanese bond futures ticked higher, suggesting his comments undermined bets for a significant policy move at this month’s meeting.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida picked Ueda as the first new BOJ chief in a decade, meaning the first academic to take over the central bank’s top position also inherited a massive easing program that saw US$11.7 trillion of spending under former governor Haruhiko Kuroda.
During his confirmation process in parliament following his nomination, Ueda had already indicated he would continue with monetary easing for now. That has brought greater market focus to how much Ueda is concerned about the growing side effects of massive easing and the deteriorating functioning of financial markets.
Earlier in the evening, Ueda also met with Kishida and they agreed there is no need to revise the central bank’s joint agreement with the government for now.
“As a result of appropriate policy from both the BOJ and the government we’re now in a situation where we’re not in a state of deflation,” Ueda told reporters in Tokyo yesterday after meeting with Kishida at the prime minister’s office. “We agreed the thinking behind the joint statement is appropriate, and there’s no need for an immediate review.”
The 2013 accord between the government and the central bank states the BOJ would seek to hit its inflation target as early as possible.
At the news conference, Ueda said he wants to achieve the 2 percent inflation target within his five-year term and would do his utmost to ensure stability of prices as well as the financial system.
The 71-year old Ueda is scheduled to host his first policy meeting on April 27 and 28.
“I have studied monetary policy for many years and been involved in policy operation and central banking in practical manners. Using this experience, I’d like to do my best to finish achieving the mission of price stability,” he said in the news conference also attended by his deputy governors Shinichi Uchida and Ryozo Himino.
“We’ve been shown that even if the governor changes, it doesn’t mean that continued easing will change immediately,” Daiwa Securities Co chief market economist Mari Iwashita said. “Once again we’re seeing that the central bank is a place that values continuity.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his