Tesla Inc is to build a new battery factory in Shanghai that is to start production in the second quarter of next year, the Xinhua news agency reported.
The company led by Elon Musk, who is visiting China this weekend, made the announcement at a signing ceremony for the project in Shanghai, the report said.
Tesla is to manufacture its Megapack large-scale energy-storage unit in the new facility, which adds to the company’s Gigafactory for electric vehicles in Shanghai and deepens its investment in China.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Construction is scheduled to begin in the third quarter of this year and the plant is to commence in the second quarter of next year.
Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Megapack is intended as a massive battery to help stabilize energy grids, with the company saying each unit can store enough energy to power an average of 3,600 homes for one hour.
The new factory would initially produce 10,000 Megapacks every year, equal to about 40 gigawatt-hours of energy storage, Xinhua said, adding that the products would be sold worldwide.
Musk’s visit comes at a time of heightened tensions between China and the US over everything from an alleged Chinese spy balloon being shot down over US skies to Beijing’s partnership with Russian President Vladimir Putin amid his country’s war in Ukraine.
Musk is traveling with Tom Zhu (朱曉彤), who was named Tesla’s senior vice president of automotive this month.
Zhu joined in 2014 and led the construction and operations of Tesla’s factory in Shanghai, living in the facility during COVID-19 lockdowns.
He is one of just four named executive officers along with Musk, chief financial officer Zachary Kirkhorn and Drew Baglino, senior vice president of Powertrain and Energy Engineering.
After the US, China is Tesla’s largest market, accounting for 22.3 percent of revenue last year. The company increased shipments from its Shanghai plant last month.
In October last year, the electric vehicle maker — a major player in hyper-competitive China — cut prices on models produced at its enormous factory on the outskirts of Shanghai. Matters escalated in January, with another discount that left Tesla’s locally made vehicles as much as 14 percent cheaper than last year, and in some cases almost 50 percent less expensive than in the US and Europe.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort