Apple Inc and Walt Disney Co are among US businesses that would face the steepest challenges in a “selective decoupling” from China, a key US lawmaker said after a series of meetings with executives and experts in Hollywood and Silicon Valley last week.
US Representative Mike Gallagher, the chairman of a US House of Representatives committee focused on US-China competition, met with Apple CEO Tim Cook and Disney CEO Bob Iger as part of a three-day trip through California to learn more about how companies are navigating the tensions between the world’s two largest economies.
“Apple’s at the heart of what is the most complex aspect of this competition, which is companies that have a massive presence in China are going have to deal with the fact that some form of selective economic decoupling is inevitable,” Gallagher said in a telephone interview. “It’s going to continue.”
Photo: Reuters
Gallagher, a Republican from Wisconsin, and his Democratic counterpart, US Representative Raja Krishnamoorthi, led a group of about a half dozen lawmakers through a jam-packed program filled with meetings with technology and entertainment executives. The agenda included a lunch with Cook and executives from Alphabet Inc’s Google, Microsoft Corp and Palantir Technologies Inc, and dinner with about a dozen prominent venture capitalists, including Marc Andreessen and Vinod Khosla.
Lawmakers also met with Iger and other Hollywood executives to discuss concerns over US entertainment companies censoring their content for the Chinese market.
The trip was part of an effort by lawmakers on the newly created committee to get outside of Washington and to hear from the private sector.
Gallagher said that despite the recent tensions — including military maneuvers by China in response to President Tsai Ing-Wen’s (蔡英文) visit to New York and California — he does not see a total break from China in the near future.
Instead, there would be “selective decoupling” that would see some supply chains of sensitive materials gradually moved out of China, a process he acknowledges is complicated and costly for companies.
He said that in his conversations with industry executives, most want “bright clear lines from the government” about which areas of the Chinese economy they should stay away from.
There was “near unanimous” support for outbound investment restrictions on investments in Chinese-developed artificial intelligence, Gallagher said, as well as curbs on investments in other key areas such as quantum computing, bioengineering, advanced semiconductors and other technologies that could be used for military purposes.
US President Joe Biden’s administration has been working on a program that would restrict investments in some sectors of China’s economy and require reporting on other areas, but those plans have yet to be finalized.
Gallagher said he does not see the US Congress acting on legislation on outbound investments until lawmakers see what the administration has planned.
The one exception to the selective decoupling scenario is if China does decide to take military action against Taiwan, in which case all bets are off, Gallagher said.
“I think there’s still a tendency for people to discount the likelihood of a kinetic confrontation with China over Taiwan,” he said. “We still have questions we want to ask these companies and this was the beginning of a much broader and longer line of effort for the select committee.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his