Two US Federal Reserve policymakers on Thursday said that recent stronger-than-expected readings on the US economy could push them to raise interest rates by more than previously expected.
Christopher Waller, a member of the Fed Board of Governors, said that if payroll and inflation data cool after hot prints in January, “then I would endorse raising the target range for the federal funds rate a couple more times, to a projected terminal rate between 5.1 percent and 5.4 percent.”
“On the other hand, if those data reports continue to come in too hot, the policy target range will have to be raised this year even more to ensure that we do not lose the momentum that was in place before the data for January were released,” Waller said in remarks prepared for delivery at an event hosted by the Mid-Size Bank Coalition of America.
Photo: AFP
His virtual event, including the question-and-answer session following delivery of his prepared remarks, was canceled after a participant displayed pornographic content that was visible to viewers.
The organizers said that they had been targeted by “teleconferencing or Zoom hijacking.”
Waller’s speech followed comments by Atlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic, who told reporters that he still favored raising rates by 25 basis points this month, but was open to lifting borrowing costs higher than he had envisioned if the economy remained so robust.
“I want to be completely clear: There is a case to be made that we need to go higher,” Bostic said. “Jobs have come in stronger than we expected. Inflation is remaining stubborn at elevated levels. Consumer spending is strong. Labor markets remain quite tight.”
Market reaction to Bostic was mixed. US stocks climbed on Thursday, with investors focusing on a comment that the US central bank could be in a position to pause rate hikes sometime this summer.
Still, yields across the US Treasury market closed higher after rising earlier in the day on another batch of strong labor-market data. The focus now shifts to a report on the US services sector, which was due yesterday.
US central bankers have raised rates rapidly from near zero a year ago to a target range of 4.5 to 4.75 percent, including a series of four jumbo 0.75 percentage-point increases.
Last month, they stepped down to a 25 basis-point increase after a half-point move in December last year.
Officials next meet on March 21 and 22, and by then they will have seen fresh reports on employment and inflation.
Recent incoming data have been surprisingly strong. Employers added 517,000 new workers in January, while inflation remains well above the central bank’s 2 percent target.
Waller said that the payroll report, together with a decline in the unemployment rate in January to 3.4 percent, showed “that, instead of loosening, the labor market was tightening.”
US Fed officials are discussing their evolving outlook, which might include holding the policy rate higher for longer than they expected when they published their most recent forecast in December last year.
That outlook showed a full percentage point of cuts by the end of next year, according to the median projection.
Officials are to update their quarterly forecasts later this month.
US Fed Chair Jerome Powell will have a chance to update lawmakers on the outlook when he heads to Capitol Hill next week to deliver his semi-annual testimony to the US Congress.
He is to appear before the Senate Banking Committee on Tuesday and the House Financial Services Committee on Wednesday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his