Taiwan Mobile Co (台灣大哥大) said it is negotiating a lower acquisition bid for Taiwan Star Telecom Corp (台灣之星), as the regulator’s ruling last month curtailed Taiwan Mobile’s access to the 5G spectrum owned by Taiwan Star.
Taiwan Mobile seeks to slash about 72 percent of its offering to absorb financially strapped Taiwan Star through a share swap.
Taiwan Mobile’s board of directors yesterday approved an exchange of one Taiwan Star share per 0.0326 Taiwan Mobile shares, compared with 0.04508 shares agreed in December 2021, according to a company filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange last night.
Photo: CNA
That proposal would significantly reduce the transaction to about NT$19.72 billion (US$647 million), based on Taiwan Mobile’s share price of NT$96.6, rather than NT$27.23 billion as calculated previously.
Taiwan Mobile said its board of directors met yesterday, but it declined to comment on the adjustment in the share swap ratio earlier yesterday.
“We are renegotiating for new terms,” Taiwan Mobile president Jamie Lin (林之晨) told an investors’ conference yesterday afternoon. “We hope we will have news to share very soon.”
Taiwan Mobile’s latest move came after the National Communications Commission gave conditional approval for the merger last month.
Taiwan Mobile is required to return 10 megahertz (MHz) of the 5G spectrum in the 1 gigahertz (GHz) band owned by Taiwan Star by June 30 next year for free, if it proceeds with the acquisition.
The commission’s decision is based on the Regulations for Administration of Mobile Broadband Businesses (行動寬頻業務管理規則), which set an upper limit of 5G spectrum acquisition of one-third — or 50MHz — of the total, or of the total auction spectrum of 150MHz.
Taiwan Mobile expects its revenue to grow this year, without counting the contribution from Taiwan Star, Lin said.
Revenue expanded 10 percent year-on-year to NT$172.21 billion, setting an all-time high, it said.
The telecom attributed the growth to a significant increase in monthly fees from 5G subscribers versus 4G users, and robust growth in its e-commerce and home broadband businesses.
Net profits were little changed, totaling NT$11.03 billion, increasing from NT$10.99 billion in 2021. Earnings per share increased slightly to NT$3.91 per share last year from NT$3.9 in 2021, it said.
Taiwan Mobile said it plans to boost capital spending this year to NT$12.8 billion, from NT$9.63 billion last year.
The increases are mainly due to the expansion of a logistics center for its e-commerce subsidiary Momo.com Inc (富邦媒體), it said.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort