Investors yesterday dumped more Adani Group shares, worsening the carnage at India’s biggest conglomerate, which has already lost about US$70 billion in value after allegations of “brazen” corporate fraud.
The latest losses came as a stock sale aimed at raising US$2.5 billion was due to close later in the day, with only 21 percent of the offer subscribed by midday, the firm said.
Adani founder Gautam Adani, 60, was the world’s third-richest person last week, but has slipped to eighth position on Forbes’ tracker after his personal fortune lost more than US$36 billion.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Shares in Adani Total Gas declined the most yesterday, with trading halted for another session after diving 10 percent in the morning.
The natural gas distribution company — of which France’s TotalEnergies SE owns 37.4 percent — has lost 45 percent in market value over the past week.
Adani Power and Adani Wilmar also hit their circuit breakers after falling 5 percent each, while Adani Green Energy traded 2.58 percent lower.
Adani Transmission and Adani Ports and SEZ inched higher, while the flagship Adani Enterprises regained some lost ground, trading 3.5 percent higher, but Adani Enterprises shares remained well below the 3,112 to 3,276 rupee price range set for the follow-on public offer, making them cheaper to buy in the open market.
However, Abu Dhabi-based International Holding Co (IHC) gave the group a vote of confidence, on Monday saying that it would buy 16 percent of the shares on offer, paying US$400 million to do so.
This makes up most of the 21 percent that the Indian firm said was subscribed by midday.
The slump in Adani’s stocks was sparked by a report from US investment group Hindenburg Research that last week alleged a “brazen stock manipulation and accounting fraud scheme over the course of decades.”
Adani’s conglomerate said it was the victim of a “maliciously mischievous” reputational attack, and on Sunday issued a 413-page statement that it said rebutted Hindenburg’s claims.
Dubbing Hindenburg the “Madoffs of Manhattan” — a reference to crooked financier Bernie Madoff — the statement said the researchers’ allegations were “nothing but a lie.”
“This is not merely an unwarranted attack on any specific company, but a calculated attack on India, the independence, integrity and quality of Indian institutions, and the growth story and ambition of India,” Adani said.
Hindenburg said in response to Adani’s statement that “India’s future is being held back by the Adani Group, which has draped itself in the Indian flag while systematically looting the nation.”
It said that Adani’s response only included about 30 pages focused on issues related to its report.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort