China’s economy ended the year in a major slump as business and consumer spending plunged last month, with more disruption likely in the first few months of the year as COVID-19 cases surge across the country.
Official data over the weekend showed that the decline in manufacturing worsened last month, while activity in the services sector plunged the most since February 2020.
Separately, a private survey of businesses by China Beige Book International on Monday said the economy likely posted an annual contraction in the fourth quarter of last year.
Photo: Bloomberg
China’s ditching of strict COVID-19 controls last month fueled a surge in infections in major cities, prompting people to stay home as they fell ill or feared becoming infected.
While the outbreak has likely peaked in places such as Beijing, and economic activity is starting to rebound there, the virus is spreading fast across the country. A likely travel rush during the Lunar New Year holiday later this month could see cases spread to rural areas, disrupting activity in the first quarter of this year.
A private purchasing managers’ index survey yesterday confirmed the worsening decline last month.
The Caixin manufacturing index — which covers mainly smaller, export-oriented businesses — dropped to 49 from 49.4 in November.
However, businesses were optimistic about the future, with confidence in the 12-month outlook climbing to a 10-month high.
“China’s growth prospects have been improving with the reopening accelerating,” said Zhou Hao (周浩), chief economist at Guotai Junan International Holdings Co (國泰君安國際控股). “Overall, the darkest hour is gone.”
Economists expect a faster rebound once the infection wave peaks, with growth forecast to accelerate to 4.8 percent this year from an estimated 3 percent last year.
Still, the recovery is likely to be bumpy, and economic activity remains well below pre-COVID-19 levels.
Travel was relatively muted over the three-day New Year holiday.
The number of trips made was little changed from a year earlier, while tourism revenue was up 4 percent from the same period last year, the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism said.
Tourism revenue was just 35.1 percent of the levels reached in 2019, while the number of trips were 42.8 percent.
China Beige Book, a provider of independent data, said its surveys found that the economy likely grew only 2 percent last year.
“With the ongoing COVID tidal wave, investment sliding to a 10-quarter low and new orders continuing to get battered, a meaningful first-quarter recovery is increasingly unrealistic,” China Beige Book chief economist Derek Scissors said.
Policymakers have pledged more fiscal and monetary support to aid the economy’s recovery this year. The Ministry of Finance last week said that fiscal spending would be expanded “appropriately” with the use of policy tools such as the budget deficit.
The central bank also vowed to support domestic demand and maintain credit growth.
China is likely to cut interest rates and the reserve requirement ratio for banks in the first half of the year, while raising the fiscal deficit ratio for this year, a survey of economists published yesterday in state media found.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his