Foreign institutional investors last year sold a net NT$1.23 trillion (US$40.07 billion) of local shares, the highest amount on record, after selling a net NT$23.82 billion in the final week of the year, the Taiwan Stock Exchange said in a statement yesterday.
Foreign investors registered a net sale of local shares for three years in a row through last year, with last year’s net sale exceeding the sum of the previous two years.
The exchange’s data showed that they sold a net NT$454.09 billion in 2021 and a net NT$539.52 billion in 2020.
Photo: CNA
Last year, the market capitalization of shares held by foreign investors was NT$17.49 trillion, accounting for 39.56 percent of total market capitalization, the exchange said.
The large outflows of foreign funds last year were mainly driven by the US Federal Reserve’s rapid interest rate hikes to tame inflation, which pushed up the US dollar and prompted investors to chase US dollar-denominated assets, analysts have said.
Foreign funds are expected to remain parked in US dollar-based assets in the short term, but the pace of fund outflows is likely to slow this year as interest rates have hit relatively high levels, they have said.
The TAIEX fell 22.4 percent last year from a year earlier to close at 14,137.69 on Friday, reversing three consecutive years of advances.
The benchmark index yesterday closed up 0.61 percent at 14,224.12 on the first trading day of this year, despite foreign investors selling a net NT$101.25 million of shares on the main board, the exchange said.
The top 10 stocks sold by foreign investors last year were Shin Kong Financial Holding Co (新光金控), Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電), Yuanta Financial Holding Co (元大金控), Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), United Microelectronics Corp (聯電), E.Sun Financial Holding Co (玉山金控), China Development Financial Holding Corp (中華開發金控), Fubon Financial Holding Co (富邦金控), Taiwan Cement Corp (台灣水泥) and Taishin Financial Holding Co (台新金控), with six of the 10 being financial holding firms, data compiled by the exchange showed.
Shares in financial holding firms faced huge selling pressure last year due to increased volatility in the global stock and bond markets amid central banks’ monetary tightening.
Surging COVID-19 insurance claims in Taiwan were another negative factor for some financial holding firms, such as Shin Kong Financial, Fubon Financial and Cathay Financial Holding Co (國泰金控), that count insurance business as one of their major sources of earnings.
Last year, combined payouts for COVID-19 and vaccine insurance policies by local insurers totaled NT$211.65 billion, nearly 38 times the premiums of NT$5.57 billion obtained for those policies, the Financial Supervisory Commission reported yesterday.
In comparison, the top 10 stocks bought by foreign investors last year were Taiwan Business Bank (台灣企銀), EVA Airways Corp (長榮航空), AUO Corp (友達), Evergreen Marine Corp (長榮海運), First Financial Holding Co (第一金控), Chang Hwa Commercial Bank (彰化銀行), Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (遠傳電信), Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), Compeq Manufacturing Co (華通電腦) and Walsin Lihwa Corp (華新麗華), exchange data showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his