The official manufacturing purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month dropped to 43.7, as almost all sectors continued to adjust inventory to cope with a reduction in business, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday.
It is the sixth consecutive month that the economic barometer has contracted, as global inflation and monetary tightening have taken a toll on demand.
“The PMI hit a new low since the launch of the survey, as firms said they remain weighed down by inventory corrections and there are few new orders,” CIER president Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) told a news conference in Taipei.
Photo: Hsu Tzu-ling, Taipei Times
PMI readings aim to gauge the health of the manufacturing industry, the pillar of Taiwan’s exports, with values above 50 indicating expansion and those lower than the threshold indicating a contraction.
The latest PMI data affirmed that there was no peak season in the final quarter of last year — the traditional high season for consumer electronic gadgets, Yeh said, adding that there is unlikely to be a rebound ahead of the Lunar New Year either.
It is too early to tell how the market will assimilate a spike in COVID-19 cases in China following the abrupt removal of its “zero COVID” policy, he said.
The critical subindex on new orders shed 2.1 points to 39.8, reflecting sluggish demand from clients at home and abroad, CIER’s monthly survey showed.
Food and textile product suppliers proved to be the only exception, with readings of more than 60 in the purchasing activity and new order categories, thanks to a fast recovery in Taiwan’s private consumption, the survey said.
The subindex on industrial production dipped by 0.1 points to 42.7, while the employment measure gained 0.1 points to 48.4, it said.
Encouragingly, the inventory and clients’ inventory gauges were 43.5 and 48.6 respectively, suggesting a concrete decline in inventory pressures, CIER researcher Chen Shin-hui (陳馨蕙) said.
Technology firms earlier reported an excess of inventory caused by overbooking and supply chain clogs in 2020 and 2021.
“The worst [of the inventory corrections] is likely over, based on the inventory figures,” Chen said.
However, the six-month outlook was disappointingly low at 29.3, although it increased by 4 points from a month earlier, as all sectors expect poor business in the first two quarters of this year, the survey said.
The non-manufacturing index performed better, gaining 1.1 points to 53.3 — its second consecutive month of expansion, CIER said.
Yeh said that service providers are continuing to bask in “revenge consumption” as Taiwanese are growing less afraid of COVID-19.
Looking forward, only hotels and restaurants expect the upturn in business to continue in the next six months, the survey found.
Meanwhile, the S&P Global’s Taiwan manufacturing PMI last month rose to 44.6 from 41.6 a month earlier, indicating some easing of the downturn. Even so, the index has remained in contraction for seven consecutive months.
“There were widespread reports of weaker demand both at home and overseas, with firms commenting on reduced demand across Europe, mainland China and the US in particular,” S&P Global Market Intelligence economics associate director Annabel Fiddes wrote in comments accompanying the data.
“Business confidence stayed firmly in negative territory, as manufacturers anticipate further cuts to output in the months ahead,” she said. “This seems increasingly likely if signs of spare capacity persist and global demand conditions fail to recover.”
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his