The Bank of Japan (BOJ) announced an unprecedented third day of unscheduled bond purchases as it fights speculation that it is about to end its super-accommodative monetary policy.
The combination of additional fixed-rate and fixed-amount purchases announced yesterday have boosted this month’s buying to about ¥17 trillion (US$128.26 billion), a monthly record, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
The BOJ’s avalanche of bond buying follows a surge in yields since the central bank unexpectedly raised its ceiling for the benchmark 10-year note to 0.5 percent at its Dec. 20 meeting.
Photo: Kyodo via Reuters
While policymakers said the move was to improve market functioning, traders have interpreted it as a step toward the end of the yield-curve control policy as they load up on short-interest stocks.
“Honestly, I don’t understand the BOJ’s intention,” Tokai Tokyo Securities Co chief bond strategist Kazuhiko Sano wrote in a research note. “The wider trading band is only fanning speculation of more policy changes and increased bond purchases risk reducing market liquidity even further.”
The BOJ yesterday offered to buy unlimited amounts of two-year bonds at a yield of 0.04 percent, and five-year debt at 0.24 percent, along with a total ¥700 billion of one-to-10 year bonds and ¥300 billion of 10-to-25 year debt.
That is in addition to daily operations to buy unlimited quantities of 10-year securities and futures-linked securities at 0.5 percent.
The BOJ said on Thursday it would provide banks with two-year loans at no interest next week.
Funds from BlueBay Asset Management to Schroders PLC have said they added to short positions on Japanese bonds, with some also buying the yen.
Meanwhile, economists have said that BOJ Governor Haruhiko Kuroda eroded his credibility by making the policy switch without warning.
Japan’s bond market is to reopen on Wednesday after the New Year holiday. The Ministry of Finance said it would auction ¥2.7 trillion of 10-year bonds on Thursday.
“It looks like the BOJ isn’t tolerating higher yields on shorter notes,” Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities Co bond strategist Keisuke Tsuruta said in Tokyo. “These are probably preemptive measures because foreign funds come back after the New Year holiday and there will be a 10-year note auction.”
The 10-year bond extended gains after the BOJ’s additional debt purchases operation was announced, with its yield falling 4.5 basis points to 0.41 percent. The yen strengthened as much as 0.5 percent against the dollar, even though efforts to cap bond yields are generally negative for the currency.
The BOJ’s struggle to contain rising local yields could have a global consequence as those who have invested in Japan own US$2.4 trillion of foreign debt. Higher local yields could spur Japanese investors to bring home more funds, exacerbating upward pressures on bonds around the world.
“The ripples from the BOJ move continue to impact markets,” Commonwealth Bank of Australia currency strategist Martin Whetton wrote in a research note. “Hedge costs remain punitive. The yen could retrace, which leaves unhedged buyers out of pocket, and the domestic yields of course are attractive.”
The BOJ might surprise markets again by tightening monetary policy as soon as next month, former Japanese vice minister of finance and Aoyama Gakuin University professor Eisuke Sakakibara said last week.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his