Tesla Inc chief executive officer Elon Musk delivered the company’s first heavy-duty Semi on Thursday to PepsiCo without offering updated forecasts for the vehicle’s pricing, production plans or how much cargo it could haul.
Musk, who appeared onstage at an event at Tesla’s Nevada plant, said the battery-powered, long-haul truck would reduce highway emissions, outperform existing diesel models on power and safety, and spin-off a fast-charging technology Tesla would use in its upcoming Cybertruck pickup.
“If you’re a trucker and you want the most badass rig on the road, this is it,” Musk said, noting that it was five years since Tesla had announced it was developing the all-electric truck.
Photo: REUTERS
However, industry experts remain skeptical that battery electric trucks can economically take the strain of hauling hefty loads for hundreds of miles.
The company did not announce pricing for the vehicle, provide details on variants of the truck it had initially projected, or supply a forecast for deliveries to PepsiCo or other customers.
Tesla said it would begin using the vehicle to ship parts to its plant in Fremont, California.
In 2017, Tesla had said the 483km-range version of the semi-truck would cost US$150,000, and the 805km version US$180,000, but Tesla’s passenger electric vehicle prices have increased sharply since then.
Tesla chair Robyn Denholm recently said the automaker might produce 100 Semis this year. Musk has said Tesla would aim to produce 50,000 of the trucks in 2024.
PepsiCo, which completed its first cargo run with the Tesla truck to deliver snacks for those attending the Nevada launch event, had ordered 100 trucks in 2017.
Brewer Anheuser-Busch, United Parcel Service Inc and Walmart Inc were among other companies that had reserved the Semi.
Tesla did not provide details on orders or deliveries to customers, nor an estimate on what the total cost of ownership for buyers would be compared with diesel alternatives.
Musk said the semi-truck has been doing test runs from Tesla’s Nevada factory to its plant in Fremont, California.
Tesla said it had completed a 805km drive on a single charge, with the Semi and cargo weighing 36,741kg in total.
Tesla did not disclose the weight of an unloaded semi-truck, one key specification analysts had hoped to learn and an important consideration for the efficiency of electric trucks.
The vehicle’s delivery presentation ended without Musk taking questions, as he often does at Tesla events.
“Not very impressive — moving a cargo of chips [average weight per pack 52 grams] cannot in any way be said to be definitive proof of concept,” Guidehouse senior analyst Oliver Dixon said.
Tesla had initially set a production target for 2019 for the semi-truck, which was first unveiled in 2017. Since then, rivals have begun to sell battery-powered trucks.
Daimler’s Freightliner, Volvo, startup Nikola and Renault are among Tesla’s competitors in developing alternatives to combustion-engine trucks.
Walmart has said it has been testing Freightliner’s eCascadia and Nikola’s Tre BEV trucks in California.
Tesla’s semi-truck is capable of charging at 1 megawatt and has liquid-cooling technology in the charging cable in an updated version of Tesla’s Supercharger that would be made available to the Cybertruck, Musk said.
The Cybertruck is scheduled to go into production next year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his