The lockdown of Foxconn Technology Group’s (富士康科技集團) Zhengzhou factory, which is the world’s largest producer of iPhones, has highlighted some of the risks of relying on China’s manufacturing sector amid its ‘zero COVID’ policies, analysts said.
Foxconn — known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) in Taiwan and Apple Inc’s principal subcontractor — has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases at its Zhengzhou site, leading the company to lock down the vast complex in a bid to keep the virus in check.
Images soon after emerged of panicking workers fleeing the site on foot in the wake of allegations of poor conditions at the facility, which has hundreds of thousands of employees.
Photo: Carlos Garcia Rawlins, Reuters
Foxconn is China’s largest private-sector employer, with more than 1 million people working across the country in about 30 factories and research institutes.
However, Zhengzhou is the Taiwanese giant’s crown jewel, churning out iPhones in quantities not seen anywhere else.
“In a normal situation, almost all the iPhone production is happening in Zhengzhou,” Counterpoint analyst Ivan Lam (林科宇) said.
Apple manufactures more than 90 percent of its products in China, which is also one of its most important markets.
“For Apple, it is once again a bad example in terms of the stability of production chains,” Natixis SA Asia-Pacific manager Alicia Garcia Herrero said.
The company’s heavy dependence on China “brings potential risks, especially when the US-China trade war shows no signs of de-escalating,” consulting firm Dezan Shira and Associates said.
Opened in 2010, the Zhengzhou factory employs up to 300,000 people who live on-site throughout the year, creating a sprawling tech hub known as “iPhone city.”
It is made up of three factories, one of which produces the iPhone 14 — Apple’s newest handset model.
Lam said that the partial stopping of work at the site resulted in a loss of “10 to 30 percent” of output, adding that part of the production has been temporarily moved to other Foxconn sites in China.
The site is currently operating a “closed loop” with the workers avoiding all contact with the outside world, while their daily bonuses have been quadrupled, Foxconn said.
“This incident may have a limited impact,” on worldwide iPhone production, said TF International Securities Group Co (天風國際證券) analyst Kuo Ming-chi (郭明錤), who specializes in Apple products.
“But suppliers in China must learn to improve closed-loop production efficiency in response to the ‘zero COVID’ policy,” he added.
China is the last major economy committed to a ‘zero COVID’ strategy, persisting with snap lockdowns, mass testing and lengthy quarantines in a bid to stamp out emerging outbreaks.
Highly transmissible variants have tested local officials’ ability to contain outbreaks faster than they can spread, causing much of the country to live under an ever-changing mosaic of COVID-19 restrictions.
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, Apple had begun outsourcing part of its production to India, and is considering Vietnam in a bid to wean itself off Chinese manufacturing. The pandemic accelerated the process.
The transition could take a while. Last year, nearly 7.5 million iPhones were made in India, just 3 percent of Apple’s total production.
“Increasing the capacity of factories [in India] is difficult,” Lam said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his