Sinbon Electronics Co’s (信邦電子) operating performance last quarter and in the first three quarters of this year reached record highs, as increased sales of wind power cable assemblies and gains in nonoperating income helped offset the rising costs of imported connectors and larger operating expenses, the producer of cables, connectors and modems said on Friday.
Net profit in the third quarter rose 11.39 percent quarter-on-quarter and 27.74 percent year-on-year to NT$758 million (US$23.55 million), while net profit in the first three quarters increased 21.17 percent annually to NT$2.28 billion, the company said in a statement.
Earnings per share in the third quarter were NT$3.58 and totaled NT$9.71 in the first three quarters, both records for the company, which was established in 1989, Sinbon said.
Photo courtesy of Sinbon Electronics Co
Despite an increase in revenue, Sinbon’s gross margin in the third quarter decreased by 0.20 percentage points annually to 25.3 percent and in the first three quarters dropped 0.24 percentage points year-on-year to 25.53 percent.
The company attributed its lower gross margin to the depreciation of foreign currencies, which resulted in imported connectors costing more, as well as higher operating expenses caused by an increase in its labor force, and higher transportation and business development costs.
Sinbon’s products include medical and healthcare devices, automotive components, products used in industrial control applications, peripheral components for communications and electronic devices, cable assemblies for microinverters, alternating current power devices and wind power generators.
The company said that despite some uncertainty in the consumer market, it remains optimistic about demand for its products thanks to green energy, automation and electric vehicle trends.
Sinbon said it expects to achieve double-digit growth in revenue this year and next year.
The company has also expanded its business scope to electric vehicles, scooters and bicycles, and recently became involved in electric motorcycles after establishing a strategic partnership with Vancouver, Canada-based Damon Motors Inc on Oct. 16, Sinbon said.
Under the terms of the partnership, Sinbon is to provide its engineering services during the design and the manufacturing stages for the electrical components used in Damon’s line of motorcycles, it said.
“As Damon Motors’ high-performance motorcycles are one-tenth the weight of a typical motorcycle, Sinbon’s advanced manufacturing techniques will allow Damon to scale its designs in HyperSports with the highest quality capabilities and expertise available,” Sinbon said in the statement, referring to the Canadian firm’s high-performance, all-electric sport motorcycle models.
As “part of our Go Green campaign, Sinbon is committed to environmental sustainability by helping put more environmentally friendly products on our planet,” Sinbon global sales vice president Jesse Huang (黃文森) said. “We are very excited about our opportunity with Damon, arguably a green tech leader in the motorcycle industry.”
Sinbon also obtained Damon’s US$500,000 unsecured convertible bonds via a private placement, wants to deepen its relationship with the electric motorcycle maker, the company said in a regulatory filing on Friday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his