CTBC Insurance Co (中國信託產險) on Thursday filed an application to set up a Web-only insurance company, the first such application in Taiwan, after its board of directors approved the proposal earlier in the day.
Insurance Bureau Director-General Shih Chiung-hwa (施瓊華) had previously told reporters that Fubon Financial Holding Co (富邦金控) and CTBC Financial Holding Co (中信金控) had expressed an interest in establishing such a business, while other insurance companies had inquired about application requirements.
A Web-only insurer cannot sell policies through physical channels or salespeople and its sales must be carried out completely online, the Financial Supervisory Commission has said.
Photo courtesy of CTBC Bank Co
A virtual insurer must be at least 40 percent owned by a financial institute. Of the 40 percent stake, at least 25 percent should be owned by a life insurance firm or a financial holding company with an insurance unit to ensure that the venture can comply with insurance regulations, the commission said.
A Web-only life insurer must have paid-in capital of at least NT$1 billion (US$31.36 million), while a non-life insurer must have at least NT$2 billion, it said.
The application review would take about five months, the commission said.
If approved, CTBC Insurance can launch the nation’s fist Web-only insurance company in the second quarter of next year, it said.
Fubon Financial president Jerry Harn (韓蔚廷) told an investors’ conference in August that the company had reservations about establishing a virtual insurer, as such a firm might not create significant synergy in the short term.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his