FDC International Hotels Corp (雲品國際) yesterday said that it is to cooperate with Illume Taipei (茹曦酒店) in operating its restaurants and banqueting facilities in a joint bid to tap business opportunities in the wake of the nation’s border reopening.
FDC inked a management contract with multilevel marketing company Sunrider International (仙妮蕾德), which owns Illume Taipei near the Taipei Arena MRT Station in Songshan District (松山).
FDC president David Ding (丁原偉) said the collaboration turns a new page for both companies as they seek to boost their business.
Under the agreement, FDC would be responsible for running Illume Taipei’s buffet restaurant and Chinese restaurant, as well as its banqueting and conference facilities.
FDC would draw up management goals including revenue targets, operating expenses and personnel training programs to enhance Illume Taipei’s financial performance, Ding said.
The property, formerly the Sunworld Dynasty Hotel Taipei (王朝大酒店), has been relaunched and cut its number of rooms from 730 to 408 by subleasing floor space to retailers, eateries, fitness facilities and other tenants to pursue better cost-efficiency.
FDC, which owns Palais de Chine Hotel (君品酒店) near Taipei Railway Station, whose Cantonese restaurant Le Palais (頤宮) has won the highest Michelin recognition for years, would share its know-how and experiences to support Illume Taipei, Ding said.
The New Taipei City-based hospitality group posted NT$175 million (US$5.49 million) of revenue for last month, a 69 percent year-on-year increase, company data showed.
In the first nine months of the year, revenue totaled NT$1.39 billion, a 46 percent improvement from the same period last year, the data showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his