The start of China’s peak construction season was supposed to finally boost demand for iron ore, which has endured a tempestuous year with prices now trading near this year’s lows.
However, the bounce has not happened, with traders now puzzling over what could be the next catalyst for a price rally in the crucial steelmaking material.
China’s usual boom period for infrastructure construction and steel-related demand in September and October has so far offered no reprieve for investors in the iron ore market, which just notched its longest streak of weekly losses on record. The Chinese economy continues to contend with a severe housing slump and COVID-19 lockdowns.
Bets that fresh financing for the property sector — which accounts for one-third of steel consumption — would aid demand recovery during the peak season have since unraveled, with the 100 biggest real-estate developers seeing sales of new homes last month plunge by one-quarter. That is even as financial regulators rush to stem the liquidity crisis, telling the nation’s six largest banks to offer at least 600 billion yuan (US$85 billion) of net financing.
While steel mills typically restock iron ore supplies before the Chinese National Day holidays at the start of October, their profit margins are also languishing and they are limiting purchases to a needs-only basis.
Meanwhile, China’s purchasing managers’ index last month rose only marginally to 46.6. A reading below 50 suggests contraction in the steel industry.
“It’s certainly the worst autumn since 2015,” Tomas Gutierrez, an analyst at Kallanish Commodities, said in e-mailed comments. “Real estate is far too big a part of the whole economy and no other sector can expand rapidly enough to make up for lost construction steel demand.”
Gutierrez was referring to the period seven years ago that also saw a sharp slowdown in China’s property and factory activity.
The raw steel-making ingredient that is crucial for the construction, machinery and automotive sectors is regarded a barometer of Chinese growth. The World Bank’s most recent forecast shows the nation’s economic expansion would decelerate to 2.8 percent this year, a mere third of the 8.1 percent rate last year. That bleaker outlook would limit the upside in iron ore prices.
With the Chinese economic outlook and its consumer confidence appearing grim, steel prices will be capped, said Kamal Ailani, a senior analyst at McCloskey by OPIS, which is owned by Dow Jones & Co.
Layered atop economic woes, the growth in China’s steel production last month has also triggered concerns about oversupply, Ailani said.
To be sure, not all market players are pessimistic, with some analysts expecting prices to at least stabilize this quarter.
“In my years in steel, 2015 is probably the worst year, and, fortunately, we are not there yet,” Richard Lu, a senior analyst at CRU International Ltd, said in e-mailed comments.
CRU forecast some improvement this quarter, with steel demand supported by new infrastructure projects.
Meanwhile, Ailani expects iron ore prices trading down from current levels, but still “well supported around [US]$85 a ton” this quarter.
Below that level, small to medium-sized miners might have to reduce production given increased costs, he said.
The slump in China’s construction sector has also crushed global demand for bulk ships. Freight rates to hire a Capesize vessel have plummeted almost 80 percent from October last year, most of it due to weaker iron ore demand from the nation, traders and shipbrokers said.
For now, shrinking stockpiles are still providing some buffer for the steel market, although investors will be eyeing the looming Chinese Communist Party congress that is scheduled to start on Sunday for signs that the government would make any changes to its COVID-19 and property deleveraging policies.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his