An union representing 15,000 American Airlines pilots on Wednesday said that it strongly opposes an effort in the US Congress to extend an exemption from modern cockpit alerting requirements for the Boeing Co’s 737 MAX 7 and 737 MAX 10.
Boeing faces a December deadline to win approval from the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for the 737 MAX 7 and 737 MAX 10 variants, or it must meet new modern cockpit alerting requirements that could significantly delay the plane’s entry into service.
“Boeing needs to proceed with installing modern crew alerting systems on these aircraft to mitigate pilot startle-effect and confusion during complex, compound system malfunctions,” Allied Pilots Association president Edward Sicher said.
Photo: Bloomberg
The FAA declined to comment.
The US planemaker did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but previously said that it is safer to have one common cockpit alerting system for all versions of the 737.
NO QUICK APPROVAL
Photo: AFP / BOEING / Jim ANDERSON
Boeing does not anticipate winning regulatory approval for its 737 MAX 10 before the summer next year, Reuters reported on Monday, citing an FAA letter to Congress.
Last week, US Senator Roger Wicker, the top Republican on the US Senate Commerce Committee, proposed extending the deadline for Boeing to win approval for the two new variants until September 2024, saying that he hoped to attach the proposal to an annual defense bill.
The alerting requirements were adopted as part of a certification reform bill passed after two fatal 737 MAX crashes killed 346 people and led to the best-selling plane’s 20-month grounding.
Relatives of many of those killed in the MAX crashes also oppose giving Boeing an extension.
They in July wrote a letter opposing the extension, saying Boeing had resorted “to bullying Congress.”
Meanwhile, Boeing last month missed out on a 40-plane deal, after China in July ordered nearly 300 Airbus aircraft worth about US$37 billion at sticker prices.
The misses reinforce how simmering US-Sino political tensions continue to complicate the dealmaking landscape for Boeing, which is also still waiting for its 737 MAX to fly again in China.
The agreement with Airbus for 292 aircraft from China’s big three state-owned carriers was one of the country’s largest-ever orders.
The subsequent US$4.8 billion deal in September was to supply 40 jetliners to Xiamen Airlines Co (廈門航空), a China Southern Airlines Co (中國南方航空) unit that previously only operated Boeing planes.
“Boeing’s exclusion from the Chinese market is poised to extend amid a worsening US-China relationship, lengthening the company’s recovery timeline and crimping its outlook,” Bloomberg Intelligence analysts George Ferguson and Juan Chamorro wrote in a note on Wednesday last week.
A longer-term rift threatens to put Boeing well behind Airbus, with deliveries already falling to a “negligible level” since 2020, Bloomberg Intelligence said, adding that a lack of sales in China would curb build rates and strain the US manufacturer’s supply chain.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his